Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PHP Where to start

Beans

PHP Where to start

I would like to ask where to start (what books to read mainly) would you recommend to learn to program in PHP.
    I know a bit of C so programming in it self is not entirely new for me.
    I decided to learn PHP after reading a book on Tuxradar about practical PHP programming and I would have kept going with it, but I´m the type of person that prefers to read in physical rather than digital format. So for those of you experienced with PHP, I am asking recommendations for books for beginners such as myself.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: PHP Where to start

I mainly just found out all the stuff that can be done with PHP and decided to make a webpage. When I wanted to know something, I googled it. I would recommend installing XAMPP, because the interface between the XAMPP control application and the inside workings itself is smooth, and because it easily gives you a way to run PHP files and work with mySQL. I found the PHP website hard to use, but it gives a barebones description. If you don't know how to, I would recommend learning the basics of HTML too. This is crucial to creating a website, because HTML and Javascript can also run on a PHP webpage. Good luck and have fun!

Beans

Thank you for you reply
    I was as well thinking about C++ where I could probably put my knowledge of C to good use, I realize it´s much harder than PHP so a lot more effort will have to be put to it but it might be more useful in the future. Also by learning PHP, it would be useful to know how to operate with mySQL which I don´t

So I'm standing on a forked road, both are equality interesting for me although I have a feeling C++ would be more useful for a future career

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by luismgl View Post
    So I'm standing on a forked road, both are equality interesting for me although I have a feeling C++ would be more useful for a future career
    You must select the language for the purpose. I use python to solve my problems. It is a real quick fix for creating small apps to trying something on AI.

If you are looking for job better check what your prospect employer is looking for. ABAP, and .net are other choice for career in coding.

Beans

In the "real world," applications and web pages are useful. If you were coding as a hobby and you showed a friend a program that was run by the command line, chances are that they would think you are weird or not appreciate all your work just because it doesn't use a GUI. I think web programming is easier than trying to build an application. If you are trying to build an application, QT and Tkinter are pretty good. Tkinter uses Python and I think QT comes for Python too. I don't know though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Desktop? Mobile Apps? Web? Decisions, decisions...

I find it easiest to learn a language when I have a project to work on, build and when I need a language- or use-specific question then research that with books and online.

If you have an interest in mobile apps, what language(s) do they use?

Xampp is a great tool to give you a PHP environment without a lot of installing and work customizing and if you are stuck going between Linux and Windows it can be used in both so you have a consistent platform to work.

It all comes down to what you feel like. Me? I have worked mostly on web applications and feel more comfortable with them so far.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

While mobile apps are in the order of the day, I don´t feel it´s right for me at the moment. I believe then I'll take my chances to understand PHP and MySQL and in the future go to move to Pearl and C++.

It´s been 1,5years since I last programmed and the little bug just started to move around wanting to be fed lol.

So I already started to take a look at the XAMPP at apachefriends.org and it seems interesting.So what reading material did you guy use to star with PHP and MySQL?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beginning PHP4 (Programmer to Programmer) .

It was "alright", but did help get me started. Since then I've been using what I little I know as to how I want to build it, and then Google has helped with the rest.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

w3schools.com is a great place to start!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: PHP, where to start

For PHP (and MySQL, if you want to add that later) this one is worth recommending:

http://books.google.is/books?id=G4dTRyvpfhoC

Though it is long it is not hard to read.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast