Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Unity Plugin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Ubuntu Unity Plugin

After giving Gnome 3 desktop environment a try, I decided to revert back to Unity. I completely purged Gnome 3, logged in as Ubuntu 2D and found that the Ubuntu Unity Plugin wasn't functioning correctly. I wanted to shrink the icons in the side bar but nothing happens. Any ideas?
    PS. Yes, the plugin is ticked in Compiz

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Unity Plugin

But the plug-in is for Unity 3D, not for Unity 2D. Unity 2D doesn't use compiz, AFAIK.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    But the plug-in is for Unity 3D, not for Unity 2D. Unity 2D doesn't use compiz, AFAIK.

Okay, I now understand

Checking my login menu, I don't have a way of getting back to Ubuntu Unity 3D ... there is probably a solution to fix this that I don't know of ... perhaps you or someone else could point me in the right direction, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Evidently not. I hate the Unity interface, so I tried Ubuntu 2D. The Compiz configuration did not work for anything, and after experimenting with it I returned to "3d". Now whenever I start a program it's in full screen mode. This gives me real stomach pain, and I have no idea how to fix it. Can anyone give me a tip?

Also, is there a way to put icons into the top panel (moving the menu bar back where it belongs) , or to make the launch icons smaller than 32? I would prefer 24 or even 16, to eliminate the need for scrolling.

Oh, and how can I add shortcuts to the launch panel except by installing?
    (After a month or so I discovered how to move them. Canonical has sure gone out of their way to make things complicated! )

(BTW, I hate the "dash" too. Gives me the impression that I have changed to a Mac computer or something, with a learning curve starting from scratch), and disturbing whatever else on my screen).
    If it works, FIX IT! (Bill Gates)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Gael33

Try opening the Ubuntu Software Centre and searching for Unity 3D. Is Core Library of the Unity interface (Libunity-core-4.0-4) installed? If not install it. You may have removed the Unity 3D libraries when installing Gnome 3 Shell. It will take a restart to get the Ubuntu option at the login screen.

@ingeva

If you have CompizConfigurationSettingsManager (CCSM) installed you can find it in the Dash by searching Compiz. Open the utility and put a tick mark against the Unity Plugin and the click the label Ubuntu Unity Plugin and you will get options to modify Unity including Launcher icon size. It is under the Experimental tab and you use a slider to reduce the size of the icons.

Oh, I have just noticed that you want the icons smaller than that modification allows. Sorry, for getting it wrong. Please ignore the above.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @Gael33

Try opening the Ubuntu Software Centre and searching for Unity 3D. Is Core Library of the Unity interface (Libunity-core-4.0-4) installed? If not install it. You may have removed the Unity 3D libraries when installing Gnome 3 Shell. It will take a restart to get the Ubuntu option at the login screen.
    Thanks, but now the dash won't open, and I can't find the software centre....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, try hitting ctrl+alt+t then type software-center.
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, try hitting ctrl+alt+t then type software-center.
    Well, I found myself running 11.10 after a software update (I was running 11.04) and since a big software assignment was finished I decided to spend some time investigating the Unity interface. It has many surprises, and most of them are not very good.
    I wonder, can some help me with the following problems:

1. Programs always start in full screen mode. Full screen gives me stomach pain, and every time I start a program I have to use several mouse and keyboard clicks to bring it in order.
    Only the startup manager start programs normally.
    2. Sometimes, window borders disappear, making it impossible to move or resize windows (Alt-F7/8 doesn't work either).
    3. Sometimes windows have a fixed height from top to bottom of screen, and they are impossible to resize.
    4. Launcher icons can't be smaller than 32. That is much too big, making it necessary to scroll the launcher. It should be possible to reduce the size to about 16.
    5. How can I open an additional panel, making room for more program icons?
    6. How can I get the menu bar to appear below the title bar where it belongs?
    7. How can I change the icon associated with a program in the launcher?
    8. There's no "Restart" option in the shutdown menu. How do I add one?
    9. Launcher won't start 2.nd instance of a program already running.

This is very frustrating. I didn't ask for a GUI change. The Gnome panels were ideal, unobtrusive, and fast. I do not understand why they should invent something as gruesome as Unity, but so far I have not been able to find anything better than Ubuntu so I'll make an effort and try to live with it. I tried Fedora and have never had a more negative experience with an OS, being even worse than Windows or Mac. I sure lost the wish to try Mandriva, Suse, or even Debian.

Ubuntu 2D is barely acceptable, Ubuntu 3D - far from it.

Help - if there is any?
    Last edited by ingeva; December 7th, 2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Additions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, you can use this link to get the new gnome classic for 11.10 it is not exactly as gnome2 but it is as close as you can get for now.

You can add things to the top panel by hitting atl+right click on the panel.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859960

It is also possible that some of your problems are from doing an upgrade it is better to do a fresh install, I know you did not intend to upgrade but the result may be the same.
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, you can use this link to get the new gnome classic for 11.10 it is not exactly as gnome2 but it is as close as you can get for now.

You can add things to the top panel by hitting atl+right click on the panel.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859960

It is also possible that some of your problems are from doing an upgrade it is better to do a fresh install, I know you did not intend to upgrade but the result may be the same.
    Thank you
    OK, thanks!
    I actually did a fresh install and the list of problems were the ones remaining after that.
    I have just re-installed 11.04 but I still have a 11.10 install in another partition, so I can continue experimenting when time allows.
    I tried the "gnome-session-fallback" earlier and it didn't work. However, I'll try again. I may have done something wrong. It's a while ago, since I've been working on a software project.

I appreciate all help. I might have found out more by reading more in the forum, but the last couple of months I've just been too busy. However, I can see that I'm not the only one having problems with Unity. It's a premature a alfa version.

Hmmm.... Alt+right-click .... Clumsy for a left-hander!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast