Re: Really slow and choppy fullscreen Flash videos in Ubuntu 11.10

And how do I "remove" them etc?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Ok.
    First..use synaptic to remove flash from there.
    Also..someone else may have a simpler way to do this but I am not a guru and did the best that I could so here ya go...
    I use a program called kate to do all of my text editing. You may have a different program but for this I will walk you through what I did.

First...in a terminal type
    gksudo kate
    Type in your password.
    When kate pops up select "open" then choose "root" from the menu on the left. You will see files that pop up in a list on the right. Select "usr" then "lib" then scroll to firefox 8.0(or whatever firefox version you have) then scroll to "plugins." If you see libflashplayer.so you need to click on it to highlight it and right click and scroll down to "move to trash"

I only had to remove flash from this file. You may have flash installed in other files.

Now here is how I installed the older 10.3
    I hope that I can make this as simple as possible in order to help you. Please let me know if you need further help. Again..there are prob a million ways of doing this and some may be faster but it got the job done so.....
    I created a folder called "flash" in my downloads. I then went to adobe and downloaded the 10.3 file to the newly created "flash" folder. Right click on the downloaded file and select extract here. A file should show up. Click on it to open it.
    Open the file called 10_3r183_10. You should see several files now. I used the flashplayer 10_3r183_1_10_linux.tar.gz Right click on it and select "extract to "
    A large window will pop up for you to choose where to extract the file to. Choose "file system" then "usr" then "lib" then "firefox 8"(or whatever version of firefox yo have..then finally "plugins" and click on the extract button at the bottom. You should now see a new libflashplayer.so file there. You will also see a usr file there as well but it is not needed here. You can delete that usr file in the same way as described earlier with kate.

Now I would restart your machine and try playing a video.

HTH,

Penny
    Last edited by mystika1; December 6th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Beans

Update: I switched to plain gnome and fullscreen video works fine now. Unity is definitely interfering somehow.

Beans

i had the same problem, to fix it
    i used flash-aid addon for firefox

use wizard mode - adobe stable
    check override GPU
    check enable HWVideo Decode
    check npviewer tweak for 64bit system with 32-bit plugin

after instalation restart firefox and fullscren videos like youtube work good now at least for me, maybe itwill help any1 else
    Last edited by zyvy; March 4th, 2012 at 06:24 PM.

Beans

What worked out great for me (but not 100% perfect)

1. Installed properly AMD Drivers 12.2 fglrx
    2. With compiz settings manager disabled Refresh Rate detection, set it to 120hz (composite) and disabled Sync to VBlank (opengl)

I have a HD6950 (can't believe im fighting youtube though...)

hope it helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12