Thread: Required login to view pages is a TERRIBLE idea

Beans

Required login to view pages is a TERRIBLE idea

See title. I was in too much of a rush to see that there was a limit on password attempts and locked myself for 15 minutes. Yes, my fault... but nevertheless due to a TERRIBLE policy of preventing people from viewing SUPPORT THREADS OF AN OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION IN A PUBLIC FORUM. It also appears that the site policy is to deny web crawlers permission to cache threads. ALSO TERRIBLE.

I cannot think of a reasonable motive for doing these things, but whatever it is, I HIGHLY doubt it is justified. Please reconsider this ridiculous barrier to critical information. A lot of people do important things using Ubuntu and other Linux systems, from the medical field to space exploration. You should not be wasting everyone's time with some pet administrative preference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Required login to view pages is a TERRIBLE idea

If I remember correctly, it's only the archived (old) stuff that requires a login (but I've been wrong before) - and primarily to reduce the chances of outdated information being presented as current.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

The only threads you need to login for are really old posts that don't apply to anyone (read: anyone) anymore, or Jailed posts, that you really wouldn't want to see anyways.

Or at least, to my knowledge, this is it.

I've never known UF to block me from viewing a thread when I'm not logged in. What were you trying to look at?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by required_login_is_bull@#! View Post
    See title. I was in too much of a rush to see that there was a limit on password attempts and locked myself for 15 minutes. Yes, my fault... but nevertheless due to a TERRIBLE policy of preventing people from viewing SUPPORT THREADS OF AN OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION IN A PUBLIC FORUM. It also appears that the site policy is to deny web crawlers permission to cache threads. ALSO TERRIBLE.

I cannot think of a reasonable motive for doing these things, but whatever it is, I HIGHLY doubt it is justified. Please reconsider this ridiculous barrier to critical information. A lot of people do important things using Ubuntu and other Linux systems, from the medical field to space exploration. You should not be wasting everyone's time with some pet administrative preference.
    i can view support threads just fine without logging in, even from my phone, i am currently looking at my phone at this post without being logged in, and logged in via my desktop.

as far as i know only archived threads need a login
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Although you can view the thread content while not logged in, you are unable to view attachments. Although I have to admit, its not really a big deal to create an account if you really want access. I don't think thats asking for too much.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Although you can view the thread content while not logged in, you are unable to view attachments. Although I have to admit, its not really a big deal to create an account if you really want access. I don't think thats asking for too much.
    Since the OP seems to have created an account with the sole purpose of complaining, thread closed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog