Thread: Windows app compatible distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Windows app compatible distro?

I think this is the best spot to post this... I was wondering if there's a Linux distribution that has the ability to run Windows software like Xandros minus the $100 I'd have to spend on something I don't even know if I'll like.

I ask because I have purchased a copy of Adobe Master and that is a large investment for me to walk away from. I'm not going to get into the photoshop vs gimp discussion. I'll just say that Adobe's products are better for me.

Thanks for any assistance.

Ed

Beans

Re: Windows app compatible distro?

Quote Originally Posted by brokenlegguy View Post
    I think this is the best spot to post this... I was wondering if there's a Linux distribution that has the ability to run Windows software like Xandros minus the $100 I'd have to spend on something I don't even know if I'll like.

I ask because I have purchased a copy of Adobe Master and that is a large investment for me to walk away from. I'm not going to get into the photoshop vs gimp discussion. I'll just say that Adobe's products are better for me.

Thanks for any assistance.

Ed
    You can use Wine to run windows executables, each app needs to be researched for its compatability.

here is the Wine HQ on adobe http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop

or you could dual boot or use a virtual machine.

I personally use virtual machines when i need a windows app (which i never need for productivty as Linux apps fulfill my needs but sometimes for testing)
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

I didn't know about Wine. I'll have to see how the performance is.

A virtual machine isn't really an option because it just runs like a dog compared to running on the machine natively.

I'm currently dual booting buuuut I just end up staying in Windows because of it.

Thanks for a direction that might keep me on Ubuntu.

Ed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brokenlegguy View Post
    I didn't know about Wine. I'll have to see how the performance is.

A virtual machine isn't really an option because it just runs like a dog compared to running on the machine natively.

I'm currently dual booting buuuut I just end up staying in Windows because of it.

Thanks for a direction that might keep me on Ubuntu.

Ed
    I guess it depends on your hardware, you can always allocate more memory to your virtual machine when you want to use memory intensive apps, and presuming you have the memory available.

Adobe is a beast though, i have photoshop in a wvirtaul machine not that i ever use it, i use GIMP, but i understand Adobe has its commerical merits for sure, i guess it is what suits ya.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Xandros probably just uses Wine, or maybe Crossover (which is not free, but fairly cheap). Better to use a more mainstream distribution like Ubuntu and add any compatibility functions on top.

No compatibility layer will be 100% though. Wine works with probably 20-30% of Windows programs. Crossover, maybe a bit more as it has slightly more up-to-date code, and Crossover is easier to use too.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

I'm going to try out wine first because it's free but more importantly photoshop cs5 has a gold rating. photohop on crossfire has a bronze rating.

I'll give it a try if wine becomes a pain.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ed