Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Quitting Banshee: the reasons why

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Quitting Banshee: the reasons why

While you guys are at it, quit the whole iTunes clone thing. It's an evil, evil model for media, and your RAM will hate you for it. File manager + playlists are the way to go. I use moc for music.

Beans

I went the other way around - I dropped Rhythmbox in favor of Banshee a number of months ago, simply because there were a number of my music files that Rhythmbox failed to read, not to mention the fact that it wouldn't play nice with my iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by krapp View Post
    While you guys are at it, quit the whole iTunes clone thing. It's an evil, evil model for media, and your RAM will hate you for it. File manager + playlists are the way to go. I use moc for music.
    I actually like the interface and it works for me. I guess that makes me evil too

Beans
    Hidden!

Well when your vindictive RAM slits your throat in the night, don't say I didn't tell you so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, but all of the RAM in my computer already exists for my convenience. If it's slightly more convenient to use slightly more of it at a time, I'm very likely to do.

There are light jukeboxes, too, you know. BeatBox, for instance. If you were using graphical apps, there's no reason any particular jukebox would have to be heavier than any particular standalone music player + a file manager, since it's just the music player with a stripped-down file manager worked in....

Beans

To add to the problems with Banshee. I have a Ssytem76 laptop and I have Ubuntu 11.10 installed, I had some trouble figuring out Banshee, so I deleted it. After reading this thread, I decided to give it another try on my multi-boot desktop.

I installed the latest banshee under Arch and I noticed that for some reason it ignores video files without extensions. I have a folder where I keep music that needs sorting, I added that folder to Banshee and I can see the .mp3 and .mpg files, but I cannot see the several video files that come without an extension. Under Linux, the DE doesn't rely on extensions to know the type of file, I can just click on the files with Thunar or Nautilus or Dolphin and the default medial player would pop up, however, Banshee seems to rely on file extensions. I tried to manually add the files to Banshee, but it will only let me add files with a media extension ... is this made for Windows or what?

I liked Rhythmbox, but it cannot play videos. I really couldn't figure out Amarok (and I was a KDE user for years), somehow I can never figure out how to play anything in that interface. I like the idea of Banshee playing both Audio and Video files, but I guess I can't figure that one out either. I liked Kaffaine, but since I moved to GTK DE I stay away from QT apps. The best media management program that I know of, is a simple file manager for sorting folders and a simple and fast player ... i.e. Thunar + Parole. I bet I can find and play my music faster than you can find and play yours with any of the fancy players.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    The best media management program that I know of, is a simple file manager for sorting folders and a simple and fast player ... i.e. Thunar + Parole. I bet I can find and play my music faster than you can find and play yours with any of the fancy players.
    Ha! GUI? What do you need the GUI for when you have like 4 fine console players to choose from!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krapp View Post
    Ha! GUI? What do you need the GUI for when you have like 4 fine console players to choose from!
    I computer has three mods of operation: two hands on the keyboard (console is the best here), one hand on he keyboard and one hand on the mouse (probably the most flexible interface, look at electronic sports), one hand one the mouse one hand on my beer. In the last mode, Thunar + Parole works best for me and it is the most appropriate mode for listening to music.

What I am trying to say is: GUI = the best beer interface.

Beans
    Hidden!

Two words: beer helmet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Well, it seems I'm not the only one quitting Banshee. According to ILoveUbuntu.net it won't be the default player in beta 1 of the next Ubuntu release:

The latest updates bring Rhythmbox as the default media player in Ubuntu 12.04 and remove Gbrainy and Tomboy.

This approach has been sketched at UDS-P (and is now available as a blueprint on launchpad) and has as a main goal the use of the lightweight GTK+3 Rhythmbox by default until Precise BETA 1, when the developers will review the status of GTK+3 Banshee (at the moment is a GTK+2 application) and will choose Precise's default media player.
    Merry Christmas and all that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I also find Banshee too big for what I need it for: playing music. Currently, I'm looking for a minimal player in which I can just add a folder and have it played. I see some of you mentioned a couple, but is there any that could replace Banshee in the volume panel?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast