Thread: Website Only Works When I SSH

Beans

Website Only Works When I SSH

My ISP provided me with a static IP and I went and bought a domain name with godaddy.com. The issue I'm having now is that I am getting a 403 forbidden error (You don't have permission to access / on this server). The strange part is that when I ssh into my server, and try to go to my website, everything works fine. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Beans

Re: Website Only Works When I SSH

I just wanted to add something to my previous post. Even when I'm connected to the local network and type in the server's LAN address I get the same error. Similarly, if I ssh into the server and type in the server's LAN address into the browser, I get directed to the index.html page. I have a feeling that I did not set the permissions correctly for the public_html folder in the first place.

This is what I did:
    chmod 755 ~/public_html/
    chmod 644 ~/public_html/index.html/

Beans

So is the website in ~? Why isn't in in /var/www? You need to chown www-data to any file/folder the web server needs to hit from the outside... Which is why putting it in ~ seems like a bad idea to me (but it should work if you get the permissions correct...)

Beans

If I use the /var/www directory then everything works fine. However, I don't understand why I cannot use the /home/root_user_name/public_html directory.

1)I've modified the /etc/apache2/sites-available/default file and wherever there I found the /var/www/ directory, I replaced it by the /home/root_user_name/public_html directory.

2)I've set the permissions on the /home/root_user_name/public_html directory to 755.

I don't see why it doesn't work when I store the files in the /home/root_user_name/public_html if I have the right permissions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are you sure the 403 error is coming from your server? Do you use an http proxy on your desktop machine?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsuperhigh View Post
    If I use the /var/www directory then everything works fine. However, I don't understand why I cannot use the /home/root_user_name/public_html directory.

1)I've modified the /etc/apache2/sites-available/default file and wherever there I found the /var/www/ directory, I replaced it by the /home/root_user_name/public_html directory.

2)I've set the permissions on the /home/root_user_name/public_html directory to 755.

I don't see why it doesn't work when I store the files in the /home/root_user_name/public_html if I have the right permissions.
    Did you miss the part where I mention www-data must own it? That's in addition to perms.

Code:
    chown -R www-data:www-data /home/root_user_name/public_html