Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 2865

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius18 View Post
    Nice monitor btw! Spent most of yesterday rebuilding my main machine, old MOBO and 10 year old P4 CPU gone for donations and replaced with ASROCK Z97 Pro-4 & Intel Core i5-4690 Devil Canyon, nominal 3.5GHz - clocks at 3.9GHz....

The best thing of the whole process: after I was done screwing and plugging it all in, just fired up the box, hit F11 (instead of Del/F2) which took me straight to the grub boot menu. All left to do was log into Ubuntu 14.10, update grub and save to MBR, restart and done (poor peeps running *******....)

Cheers / Frank
    Thanks! It's easy on the eye. My right eye I can't see out of because of a cataract. Need to get that fixed sometime soon.

Sounds like a very nice system. I've still got this dinosaur Quad Core 2.83Ghz processor. Maybe next year I'm hoping to upgrade.

Something I learned recently (if you didn't already know this), if you have multiple Linux systems on your system and do not want to have
    to boot to your "primary system" and re-install grub there when grub is updated to a new version on any system there is a way around that.
    Just install grub to the PBR instead of MBR on every system that is not your primary system where your main grub is.
    You can do this when inititially installing by choose "something else" and installing grub to the PBR there, Or you can run this command on
    your other systems so they are not in control of grub any more.

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc  or sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-efi-amd64
    You go through a few screens tabbing to OK then the last screen uncheck the drive sda, sdb, etc and check the partition and you will see a few errors but it will install.
    You just have to remember where your grub is installed.

Well after about a day and a half (or so it seemed) I finally tamed the Linux Mint Beast.
    I swear it's like apples and bananas. Probably has something to do with the Linux Mint system logo, I don't know but something prevents me from just copying and pasting from Ubuntu to Mint.

I set it to a dark background so I could see what I was doing and then changed it back to the same picture only sized to fit my monitor.

But it has that minty green color cooresponding to the system.

Sorry but I'd rather not see what's coming at me with those pictures. I don't even like listening to the weather reports between June 1st and November 1st.
    Those forecasters here get a ginormous kick out of it all you would think. "Ok... well let's see what's coming off of the coast of Africa...."
    I don't want to know.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; February 11th, 2015 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added efi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    don't know about your system Frank, but the wind image has not updated since yesterday....hmmmmmmmmmmm.....
    Same here Tommy, no updates unless I restart. Used to work just fine until some days ago. As an interim I have activated a crontab to periodically fetch the CIMSS image and save it to the temp folder - but that is a bandaid solution.

@Paramvir: do you get any CIMSS updates??

Cheers / Frank
    Do You Ubuntu? I Do!
    The Network is Alive and Well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Updated Calendar Section (Jan. 2015-Dec. 2016)

Thought I'd better update the 'Calendar Section' before time catches up with us...

Here are the updates with linefeeds added (for illustration only - don't copy n' paste this code)

Code:
    ##################################
    ##         CALENDAR             ##
    ${voffset 4}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}DATE${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font}
    ${voffset 18}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color2}${alignc 60}${time %A}${font}
    ${voffset -4}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=18}${if_match ${time %e}<=9}${color3}${alignc 65}${time %e}${font}${else}${if_match ${time %e}>=10}${color3}${alignc 60}${time %e}${endif}${endif}${font}
    ${voffset 0}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color2}${alignc 60}${time %B}${font}
    ${voffset 0}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.6}${color2}${alignc 60}${time %Y}${font}
    ${voffset -80}${font CutOutsFor3DFX:size=67}${color6}${alignc 99}2${font}
    ####
    ## Uncomment for "SUNDAY = First Day-of-the-Week" valid Jan.2015 - Dec.2016 (use mono fonts only)
    ## Tweaked for proper alignment of annoying months with six calendar weeks.
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="May 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Aug 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Jan 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Jul 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Oct 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${voffset -70}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}
    ${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; cal -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e s/^/"\$\{offset 100"\}/ -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color9}&${color3}/'}
    ####
    ## Uncomment for "MONDAY = First Day-of-the-Week" valid Jan.2015 - Dec.2016 (use mono fonts only)
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Mar 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Nov 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="May 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; ncal -M -C -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e s/^/"\$\{offset 100"\}/ -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color9}&${color3}/'}

Here is the code, properly formatted...

Code:
    ${voffset 4}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}DATE${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font}
    ${voffset 18}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color2}${alignc 60}${time %A}${font}
    ${voffset -4}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=18}${if_match ${time %e}<=9}${color3}${alignc 65}${time %e}${font}${else}${if_match ${time %e}>=10}${color3}${alignc 60}${time %e}${endif}${endif}${font}
    ${voffset 0}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color2}${alignc 60}${time %B}${font}
    ${voffset 0}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.6}${color2}${alignc 60}${time %Y}${font}
    ####
    ## Uncomment for "SUNDAY = First Day-of-the-Week" valid Jan.2015 - Dec.2016 (use mono fonts only)
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="May 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Aug 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Jan 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Jul 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Oct 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${voffset -70}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; cal -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e s/^/"\$\{offset 100"\}/ -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color9}&${color3}/'}
    ####
    ## Uncomment for "MONDAY = First Day-of-the-Week" valid Jan.2015 - Dec.2016 (use mono fonts only)
    # ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Mar 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Aug 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Nov 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="May 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Oct 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${voffset -70}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; ncal -M -C -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e s/^/"\$\{offset 100"\}/ -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color9}&${color3}/'}

Spelling of the months will need to be tweaked, of course, if you're using a language other than English
    Last edited by VinDSL; February 8th, 2015 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Cool Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius18 View Post
    Same here Tommy, no updates unless I restart. Used to work just fine until some days ago. As an interim I have activated a crontab to periodically fetch the CIMSS image and save it to the temp folder - but that is a bandaid solution.

@Paramvir: do you get any CIMSS updates??

Cheers / Frank
    Guys I have loads to catch up so am not much on the net

gsi_image.jpg

Here is the image - I do get sometimes no data error like what Tommy said - but after a while I gets updated - if you have any issues you can just delete the gsi_image.gif and see how that goes - it can take 3 to 6 or even 12 hours sometimes for images to get updated at the CIMSS site - and it is not fixed - my guess is the parent data stream may be in question also...

cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    Guys I have loads to catch up so am not much on the net

gsi_image.jpg

Here is the image - I do get sometimes no data error like what Tommy said - but after a while I gets updated - if you have any issues you can just delete the gsi_image.gif and see how that goes - it can take 3 to 6 or even 12 hours sometimes for images to get updated at the CIMSS site - and it is not fixed - my guess is the parent data stream may be in question also...

cheers
    I highlighted Paramvir's relevant response above...

this seems to be the case here.....

I just looked at the CIMSS website....the latest image is from 0000 UTC....over 7 hours ago.....

we may be forced to live with it...until CIMSS does more frequent updates....if they ever do....

at least the IR data is current...
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Updated Calendar Section (Jan. 2015-Dec. 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Thought I'd better update the 'Calendar Section' before time catches up with us...

Here are the updates with linefeeds added (for illustration only - don't copy n' paste this code)

Code:
    ####
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="May 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Jan 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Jul 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; cal -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e s/^/"\$\{offset 100"\}/ -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color9}&${color3}/'}
    ####
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Mar 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Nov 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="May 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}
    ${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; ncal -M -C -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e s/^/"\$\{offset 100"\}/ -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color9}&${color3}/'}

Here is the code, properly formatted...

Code:
    ####
    ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="May 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Aug 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Jan 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Jul 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Oct 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${voffset -70}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; cal -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e s/^/"\$\{offset 100"\}/ -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color9}&${color3}/'}
    ####
    # ${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Mar 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Aug 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Nov 2015"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="May 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${if_match "${time %b %G}"=="Oct 2016"}${voffset -76}${else}${voffset -70}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${endif}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; ncal -M -C -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e s/^/"\$\{offset 100"\}/ -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color9}&${color3}/'}

Spelling of the months will need to be tweaked, of course, if you're using a language other than English
    Thank you for that! I plugged that in and of course had to adjust the vertical placement but it looks better than what I had before.

@Tommy, maybe Paramvir the weather wizard can find another site that does the pictures. I don't know but if it's possible he can do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    I highlighted Paramvir's relevant response above...

this seems to be the case here.....

I just looked at the CIMSS website....the latest image is from 0000 UTC....over 7 hours ago.....

we may be forced to live with it...until CIMSS does more frequent updates....if they ever do....

at least the IR data is current...
    My cron job is set to run every 3 hours and, yes, I am getting updates within 1-2 hours after the pic was taken. IOW, the 0000UTC image appears on my desktop sometime between 0100 and 0200UTC.

Cron here:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

set -e

# zoomed image from CIMSS
    curl -A "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.4; XT1045 Build/KXB21.14-L1.45) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.59 Mobile Safari/537.36" http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/austeast/winds/wgmsirZ.GIF > /tmp/wx-frank-conkywx-02.conf-pChA_r_27u0-m39/gsi_image.gif
    Adjust the highlighted to match your requirement and add the appropriate timing.

If this works for you (and others) without problems then we may have an issue with the data feed.

Cheers / Frank
    Do You Ubuntu? I Do!
    The Network is Alive and Well

Lets get the mystery veil lifted...

Ocean Area
    Update interval - hours
    North Atlantic 3
    East Pacific 3
    west pacific 3
    indian ocean 3
    east atlantic 3
    West Australia Region
    East Australia Region 6
    South East Pacific 3
    Combined Pac/Atl 3

check this url - you will see which updates had no data - this page is for North Atlantic - move the mouse pointer over the red link Basins and you can select other areas.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-tim...lantic&sat=wg8

cheers

OK To get a quick primer on global weather patterns - have a peep at this page

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-tim...bal2/main.html

Even though the page is showing "Total Precipitable Water - Global" - there is much more - you notice how the direction of flow is different towards the poles and the Equator.

You will also notice that there is a normal build up of dark maroon colour where the wind has had a free flow or long enough fetch - across the Pacific towards south east Asian islands and Indian ocean.

Notice that you also see the air flow pattern - wind - aha

cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

thanx for the info Param....

now we know the update intervals we should expect...

I went to the URL in your poast above & found a direct link to the latest wind image for the East Pacific...

I then put it into my conkywx.sh file instead of the URL that ships with v 3.0

I also set the IF statement back to 3 hours ( 10,800 secs )....now will wait to see if it updates
    every 3 hours like the websites states....

tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Page 206 of 287 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256 ... LastLast