Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fedora 15.....any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Fedora 15.....any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I've replaced Kubuntu with Fedora 15 recently so that I could use Gnome 3. So far, I think it's a really nice system, but the most annoying thing is rather poor software availability for it The latest available version of Kadu (a client for the most popular IM network in Poland) is horribly old, Clipgrab (a nice youtube downloader that I used on Kubuntu) seems to have no Fedora package at all... All this is very weird, since Distrowatch says that Fedora is one of the most popular distros.
    I doubt most people will stay away from Fedora just because Kadu is old, and Clipgrab is not available. I've never even heard of them. Actually, most of fedora's packages are the very latest.

Beans

Interesting with Fedora 15 .....

I downloaded it and tried to install it and it needs a minimum of 640 Meg memory

Now this is the first time I have seen a restriction like this .....

Maybe its telling me its time to upgrade my desktop computer ...

Running it from the live CD though .... it does work - but does not include the themes on the second screen.

( I will load it on my laptop at some point .... as that has more memory ..... to test it out )

Interesting that its gone for Gnome-Shell ...... and if they ever get the video problems sorted with gtk-record my desktop ....... then it may become more of a useful tool to me.

Beans

If your computer does not have an accelerated graphics card, you can install Fedora in a "fall-back" environment minus the GNOME Shell, which unfortunately, was compiled only to run in a 3D environment.

Beans
    Hidden!

Review of Fedora 15... note Brian doesn't like Fedora... but many of the points raised are valid...

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/8...ew-las-s17e01/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

OK. I have a 64 bit amd and plenty of room so I decided to give Fedora 15 x86_64 a shot.

First off it took over grub and failed to list Ubuntu, easy fix.
    Then went to install nvidia 8200 drivers, crash.
    Couldn't get it to blacklist the nouveau drivers, probably just me.

I like the look of Gnome 3 but....if they are trying to get more users to *nix,IMHO, Fedora is not the best distro to get new users. It's not that it's too complicated, just not newbie friendly. Switching over and adjusting myself to yum and all, not a big issue, though I still found myself trying to use Ubuntu specific commands. LOL!!

I will still be recommending to everyone I know who is interested in switching from windows that Ubuntu is the way to go, or Linux Mint. I will probably suggest 10.04 LTS for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't like Fedora 15. I've tried it, but it's pretty terrible. (I think I have Alpha). Fedora 14 is fantasic, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Okay. I've had a week or so with Fedora 15.

To a new user of Linux, it feels incomplete and very confusing.

BAD: Software Update is an application menu item....Software Updates is another item. Huh? Are you kidding me? Coming from Ubuntu, I was laughing at that! I had to guess. And I guessed wrong.

VERY BAD: Network printing does NOT work in Gnome 3. Fedora can't print to a network printer unless you try CUPS.....this was NOT required in Ubuntu.

AWFUL: Try this. Log in, use several apps, then switch user. You will find that, sooner rather than later, after you log back in the desktop will freeze rendering itself useless.

GOOD: Wireless was automatically picked up. Graphics drivers(Intel) were automatically picked up....which is more than what I can say about Arch Linux, or as I call it,Farse Linux.

To someone who is not afraid of the terminal, not necessarily a terminal expert, this Fedora 15 will be good and meet their needs.

The Fedora website is horrible and has screenshots from a MUCH older version of Fedora! Ubuntu.com would NEVER do that! Red Hat seems uninterested in the desktop.

I am shocked that Fedora is ranked so high on Distrowatch.com. Mint is significantly better. If it wasn't for Gnome 3 being better, currently, than Unity, I would be on Ubuntu.....no questions asked. As soon as Unity catches up(the next release or 2, max.<----that's as long as I would be willing to continue using Fedora), I'm leaving Fedora and going back home to Ubuntu.

Terribly disappointed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

After playing around with it for a bit, I noticed something odd.
    It seems like Empathy on Fedora 15 messes up. A few things I noticed were:
    • It doesn't receive IMs from WLM, unless the contact window is open.
    • My Google Talk contacts were complaining that they kept getting messages saying that I've "left the room", when I hadn't.
    • Google talk doesn't notify me of new IMs.
    • I get messages saying that my IMs have failed (WLM) but they still arrive. Most of the time.
    • Sometimes messages on WLM won't send, but only to certain contacts.

Le sigh. It's a shame because Empathy integrates quite well with GNOME 3.

I don't have any problems on Ubuntu. Hm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_D View Post
    Graphics drivers(Intel) were automatically picked up....which is more than what I can say about Arch Linux, or as I call it,Farse Linux.
    You obviously didn't get the point of Arch at all.

The Fedora website is horrible and has screenshots from a MUCH older version of Fedora! Ubuntu.com would NEVER do that! Red Hat seems uninterested in the desktop.
    What website are you visiting? The front page of the Fedora project clearly shows an updated screenshot featuring Gnome 3.

I am shocked that Fedora is ranked so high on Distrowatch.com. Mint is significantly better. If it wasn't for Gnome 3 being better, currently, than Unity, I would be on Ubuntu.....no questions asked. As soon as Unity catches up(the next release or 2, max.<----that's as long as I would be willing to continue using Fedora), I'm leaving Fedora and going back home to Ubuntu.

Terribly disappointed.
    There are other distros other than Ubuntu or Fedora, if you're so disappointed why not look into the plethora of others?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    If you install the Nvidia drivers, use Leigh's guide. He explains things well and answers questions if you have any.
    In addition to Leigh's NVIDIA guide, I recommend mjmwired's Personal Fedora Guide for post-installation help with non-free codecs, plug-ins, etc. It makes installing Fedora easier.

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f15.html

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast