Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [firefox] Is there a point to adblock if noscript is installed?

Beans

[firefox] Is there a point to adblock if noscript is installed?

I'm talking about the popular extensions for firefox, adblock and noscript.

In my understanding, adblock only blocks ads and uses a pre-defined list of websites, while noscript blocks pretty much everything (most importantly javascript) and you give permissions on a per-site basis.

So if noscript also blocks things like ads, what is the point of adblock if you have noscript installed? Is it superfluous? Or am I insanely wrong here...

Beans

Re: [firefox] Is there a point to adblock if noscript is installed?

Noscript only blocks scripts. That might stop some ads, but not all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

TBH I've never tried Adblock. Noscript block enough advertising that I don't feel another extension slowing down my browser is needed.

OTOH, I know that many Noscript users also use ABP, so I suppose they must have some use for it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Telengard C64 View Post
    TBH I've never tried Adblock. Noscript block enough advertising that I don't feel another extension slowing down my browser is needed.
    Er, slowing it down? Adblock doesn't just prevent ads from being shown, it prevents them being downloaded, which will speed up your browsing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhil View Post
    Er, slowing it down? Adblock doesn't just prevent ads from being shown, it prevents them being downloaded, which will speed up your browsing.
    I think what he meant was the addon slowing down load times on firefox in general.

I don't use NoScript on my firefox, and with the addons I have it starts up in the same amount of time as a fresh install.

Beans

AdblockPlus+NoScript+Ghostery and maybe UserAgentString is the equivalent of a Firefox fortress, as long as you understand what these addons do, and above all, watch what you click on. You also have to trust the addon developers, but that is another thread.

Beans

As much as I like NoScript, I dislike it. It seems that whenever I am in a hurry to do something I find myself having to allow scripts to get it done.

Adblock is great if you frequently visit sites that have ads on them and that isn't something I do often enough to worry about it.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Noscript can block js, java, flash, and xss using a whitelist concept.

Adblock on the other hand uses blacklists to block urls, frames, and images.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    As much as I like NoScript, I dislike it. It seems that whenever I am in a hurry to do something I find myself having to allow scripts to get it done.

Adblock is great if you frequently visit sites that have ads on them and that isn't something I do often enough to worry about it.
    True, but its easy enough to just right click the icon and "temproarily allow all of this page", at least for pages that you dont regularly visit when your in a hurry.

For all the pages that you do regularly visit though, its worth going through each url to find which ones are required for the functionality you desire and permanently allowing them while leaving the others blocked.

Beans

adblock plus & no script are my best friends. GL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast