Thread: Format Harddrive with GRUB installed

Beans

Format Harddrive with GRUB installed

Upon installation of Ubuntu a while back, i was using a windows xp machine with two different harddrives. Instead of formatting the xp drive and installing Linux, i decided to install Linux on the secondary harddrive. This worked all fine and dandy until recent, when I have found my linux drive filling up near capacity. I would like to format the XP harddrive and mount it in linux to give some more disk space. The problem i have found, is that the XP drive is the drive with GRUB. Any advice on how this could be done without TOO much troubles.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Format Harddrive with GRUB installed

I'll take a stab at it ... I'll stay high level, and see if you need more details.

First, review the guidance on installing/reinstalling Grub. It's not that difficult -- here's what a guy wrote on Kubuntu Forums -- just scroll to Section 4: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

So, use GParted, highlight the partition on the XP drive, right-click it and change the filesystem to ext4, and "Apply".

Make a mount point, recommended location for hard drive partitions is /mnt.

Example:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /mnt/NEWSTUFF
    Next, you'll need to edit /etc/fstab to change whatever the mount line for XP says. Use "mount by-uuid", and you can find the UUID for the new filesystem with the "blkid" command. Use "mount -a" to mount it, and "mount" to verify that it mounts correctly.

Finally, use the guidance to install grub wherever you want it.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Which drive you use to boot is a separate question from using/formating a drive. You can entirely format your windows drive and grub will not change since the MBR is separate from the partitions. But I always recommend that you boot from the same drive as the system install. After reinstalling grub to sdb, change BIOS to boot that drive.

reinstall from working (not liveCD) system - first find Ubuntu drive:
    sudo fdisk -l
    if it's "/dev/sdb" then just run:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb
    sudo update-grub
    to get grub to remember where to reinstall on updates:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    Enter thru first pages,spacebar to choose/unchoose drive, enter to accept, do not choose partitions
    To see what drive is uses:
    sudo debconf-show grub-pc
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you all!