Not quite I'm afraid.
    The commands should have been
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/temp 
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/temp
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt/temp$i;  done
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/temp/etc/resolv.conf  
    sudo chroot /mnt/temp
    I will message drs305 and ask him if the first line is correct or not but I think the first line I have given you above is what you need.
    You also seem to have missed the third line completely. I understand why, as it seems like a strangely formatted line, but that is correct. It mounts certain directories needed to do what you want to.
    The fourth line probably isn't needed - but it could be.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Grub 2 woes

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Not quite I'm afraid.
    The commands should have been
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/temp 
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/temp
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt/temp$i;  done
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/temp/etc/resolv.conf  
    sudo chroot /mnt/temp
    I will message drs305 and ask him if the first line is correct or not but I think the first line I have given you above is what you need.
    You also seem to have missed the third line completely. I understand why, as it seems like a strangely formatted line, but that is correct. It mounts certain directories needed to do what you want to.
    The fourth line probably isn't needed - but it could be.
    Ah, that's perfectly correct and all is in working order now.

I didn't realise "for" was a command, so I just read it as a continuation of the commented out part of the line above, thus ignored it. I forgot that in [code] tags the text doesn't automatically continue on the next line but instead adds a sideways scroll bar.

A foolish error, but an easily avoidable one. Maybe a small comment could be inserted into the howto, but I have no idea who would have sufficient privileges to do that.

Thread marked as solved nonetheless.
    Asus P8Z77-V LX + i5 3570K + XFX Radeon HD 7950 @ 950/1150 (3GB GDDR5) + 8GB RAM + 256GB 840Evo + 2TB & 1TB HDD. Ubuntu 14.10
    Asus G73JH - i7 720QM + ATI mHD 5870 (1GB GDDR5) + 16GB RAM. Ubuntu 10.04 - old build, from when I was active '08-11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I made the same mistake when the guide was first changed We live and learn!
    Glad you're all fixed up now - nice one!
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

So, the error was with Grub and not with the graphics card or so. Never mind.

Glad to know that it has been fixed. drs305 have covered nearly every single aspect of Grub2 and Quackers were experienced enough to guide you with that.

Most of the time, it takes many of us to figure out the problem

Happy Ubuntu-ing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Making a "/mnt/boot" mountpoint doesn't hurt anything and saves a step but I can see how it might add to the confusion and have reformatted the steps and added a note about who needs to run it.

Regarding the "for i in ..." command, it had never occurred to me that it could be regarded in the way it was - but it re-emphasizes how we see can things differently. I'll have to figure out how I'm going to prevent that from happening again. There is a much longer way of writing the commands out but this is just too efficient to give up. I guess I'll add a note.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by drs305
    Regarding the "for i in ..." command, it had never occurred to me that it could be regarded in the way it was - but it re-emphasizes how we see can things differently. I'll have to figure out how I'm going to prevent that from happening again. There is a much longer way of writing the commands out but this is just too efficient to give up. I guess I'll add a note.
    That efficiency is effective for the audience who just cut-and-paste commands from a trusted source as yourself. However, the long form is somewhat more clear for users who are trying to understand what is going on and who aren't coders. Maybe a brief mention of why the chroot needs access to the devices on the system could be added for clarity. And/or simple explanation of what the code does. I know there is always a trade off between keeping it simple and giving opportunities to learn, your guides are always good in terms of content.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The "for" command saves a serious amount of typing (or copy/pasting) it's a great line. It just looks weird to the more inexperienced, like me
    Using as little as 3 lines instead of 7 is definitely preferrable, even when copy/pasting.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've added a section at the bottom of the post showing what the "for i" command does.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12