Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want start over... format & re-install Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Want start over... format & re-install Ubuntu

Hello:

I would like to completely un-install Ubuntu, format my entire disk and then re-install Ubuntu.

How would I do this?

Thanks,
    Rob.

"Action, is the universal solution; do the inevitable immediately."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Want start over... format & re-install Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Boot the livecd or whatever you are using.

When you reach the partition stage - pick use the whole disk - it will format and remove all that was there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are only using ubuntu, just put your disc in the drive and away you go. Back up any data you want to keep. I would suggest using a seperate '/' and 'home' partition then if you want to reinstall again you don't need to touch your home directory, all your settings will still be there for your programs.

Beans

run the install again, choose use entire disk, old OS will be gone regardless of what it is

edit: I see that I type too slow

and isn't it funny how our "windows training" leads us to the conclusion that it's best to just chuck it all
    Last edited by macem29; September 17th, 2010 at 03:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks people!!!
    Last edited by Robert.Thompson; September 17th, 2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo
    Rob.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paul820 View Post
    If you are only using ubuntu, just put your disc in the drive and away you go. Back up any data you want to keep. I would suggest using a seperate '/' and 'home' partition then if you want to reinstall again you don't need to touch your home directory, all your settings will still be there for your programs.
    Hi Paul:

I would really like to install the way you suggest but I am not sure how to setup partitions during setup. Right now it shows:
    /dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 ext4 153502 MB
    /dev/sda5 swap 6537 MB

How do I create '/' (root?) and 'home' and what size?

Thanks,
    Rob.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When it comes to the selecting partitions selection there is an option to select that allows you to define the sizes of each partition seperately. I see you have 153Gb or around that of hard disc space.

So click on sda1 and choose how much space you want for '/', you don't need much for that, i usually allow it around 15-20Gb, even that may be too much but i don't want to run out of space. There is a button called 'add' that you click and some options come up where you can select ext3 or ext4 or some others, click ext4 and then there is another option further down where you can select / or home or whatever. It's not hard to find.

When you choose how much space you want to give to '/', don't forget 1000 is 1Gb, so if you want 15Gb or 20Gb, you would type 15000 or 20000.

Then you finish selecting it by clicking ok or whatever (can't remember the buttons) and linux will resize the partion with some unallocated space where you can do the same as above, or leave it all for /home. Your swap is already there so you don't need to do anything for that.

Here we go, i have found a website that will explain it a bit better than i did: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/05/26...-ubuntu-10-04/
    Another better one: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome
    Last edited by Paul820; September 17th, 2010 at 03:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paul820 View Post
    When it comes to the selecting partitions selection there is an option to select that allows you to define the sizes of each partition seperately. I see you have 153Gb or around that of hard disc space.

So click on sda1 and choose how much space you want for '/', you don't need much for that, i usually allow it around 15-20Gb, even that may be too much but i don't want to run out of space. There is a button called 'add' that you click and some options come up where you can select ext3 or ext4 or some others, click ext4 and then there is another option further down where you can select / or home or whatever. It's not hard to find.

When you choose how much space you want to give to '/', don't forget 1000 is 1Gb, so if you want 15Gb or 20Gb, you would type 15000 or 20000.

Then you finish selecting it by clicking ok or whatever (can't remember the buttons) and linux will resize the partion with some unallocated space where you can do the same as above, or leave it all for /home. Your swap is already there so you don't need to do anything for that.

Here we go, i have found a website that will explain it a bit better than i did: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/05/26...-ubuntu-10-04/
    Another better one: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome
    Thanks Paul.

One question - when a new relase comes out, how do I install it to preserve my data?
    Rob.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Thompson View Post
    One question - when a new relase comes out, how do I install it to preserve my data?
    You can upgrade from one version to the next without reinstalling.

Alternatively, if you have a separate /home partition you can do a reinstall, and just pick the appropriate partition as /home again, and tell the system not to reformat it. Everything in your /home partition will be preserved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast