Thread: Network Manager failure after reboot

Beans

Network Manager failure after reboot

I have a new system76 pangolin that came with 10.04 installed. NetworkManager has been working fine for several days. After a reboot today, the nm-applet no longer displays, and I can no longer connect to a wireless network. I have been able to restore internet access on the wired connection by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file.

NetworkManager is running, and doesn't seem to be giving any error messages. Syslog shows:

syslog.1:May 16 10:09:26 gromit NetworkManager: <info> WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
    syslog.1:May 16 10:09:26 gromit NetworkManager: <info> WWAN enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
    syslog.1:May 16 10:09:26 gromit NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): driver supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x01).
    syslog.1:May 16 10:09:26 gromit NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): new 802.11 WiFi device (driver: 'iwlagn')
    syslog.1:May 16 10:09:26 gromit NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): exported as /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0

nm-applet refuses to display, so I cannot connect to any wireless APs.
    Killing nm-applet and restarting it displays:
    dona@gromit:/var/log$ pkill nm-applet
    dona@gromit:/var/log$ nm-applet
    ** (nm-applet:2965): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
    ** (nm-applet:2965): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
    ** (nm-applet:2965): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb
    ** (nm-applet:2965): DEBUG: going for offline with icon: notification-network-disconnected
    ** (nm-applet:2965): DEBUG: going for offline with icon: notification-network-disconnected

But still, nothing displays. The card is alive. iwconfig reports:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Beans

Re: Network Manager failure after reboot

I know there is a command that will rebuild your panel and applets, but I don't know what it is offhand.

One temporary solution might be to create another account and see if the applet comes up when you log into that.

Beans

Logging as another user works. The other user has the nm-applet in the panel, and I can connect to the access point.

I tried deleting the .gconf and .gconfd directories to try to restore the panel to an initial state. Apparently this wasn't the right thing to do. I get a clean panel, but nm-applet does not display. Checking ps, nm-applet is running. If I kill it, and start a new copy, it still does not display.

Beans

Deleting the panel and creating a new panel seems to have solved the problem. I did the following:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --shutdown
    gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
    rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
    pkill gnome-panel

Beans

Let me know if you figure out how to fix this. I had my power icon disappear, so that the only way I could log out was to hit control alt delete and then reboot. So I fixed that problem and now my sound applet is gone and I can't adjust my volume.

The Gnome panel in 10.4 is clearly screwed up, and I hope the devs can fix it soon.

EDIT: Thanks, I'll try this.

Beans

Hey that worked, thanks!

I will have to keep those commands handy for the next time this happens.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dallingham View Post
    Deleting the panel and creating a new panel seems to have solved the problem. I did the following:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --shutdown
    gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
    rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
    pkill gnome-panel
    Thank you