Thread: duel boot

Beans

duel boot

Hello,
    I have some questions on duel boot setup.
    If you create a duel boot setup, how can you remove the ubuntu partition, if you no longer need it?
    I wouldn't think just removing the partition would do it.
    Wouldn't the boot manager still come up?
    How can you remove it all?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: duel boot

Quote Originally Posted by FM101 View Post
    Hello,
    I have some questions on duel boot setup.
    If you create a duel boot setup, how can you remove the ubuntu partition, if you no longer need it?
    I wouldn't think just removing the partition would do it.
    Wouldn't the boot manager still come up?
    How can you remove it all?

thanks

Honestly if this is the first time you have used ubuntu or am installing Ubuntu for the first time, I would try Wubi. With Wubi, you don't have to worry about partitions, it just make an entry in the Add/remove programs in the Windows control panel, so if you don't want ubuntu anymore, you can remove it and not worry about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you want to set up a dual boot, the first thing you need to do is defrag your hard drive twice, for good measure.

You then need to shrink Windows. If you install Ubuntu and get rid of it, you can expand Windows to fill the entire disc again. Deleting Ubuntu should default back to the Windows bootloader, instead of Grub2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by adam22 View Post
    If you want to set up a dual boot, the first thing you need to do is defrag your hard drive twice, for good measure.

You then need to shrink Windows. If you install Ubuntu and get rid of it, you can expand Windows to fill the entire disc again. Deleting Ubuntu should default back to the Windows bootloader, instead of Grub2.
    I have tried this and it actually does not bring back the original windows boot loader. It has to be restored with a windows 7 or vista disk. There is an option to restore boot loaded when you boot off the system disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nxion View Post
    I have tried this and it actually does not bring back the original windows boot loader. It has to be restored with a windows 7 or vista disk. There is an option to restore boot loaded when you boot off the system disk.
    I'm almost certain that I deleted my linux partition at some point and booted right into Windows without a problem, but I may be wrong.