Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Ethernet Port Failure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Intermittent Ethernet Port Failures?

I keep on getting intermittent ethernet failures using a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P 790FX motherboard with a built-in network card. This is a problem on all operating systems.

After many intermittent failures I think I've finally found the solution; turn the PSU off, wait until the CMOS light goes off (about 15 seconds), then turn the PSU back on. It appears a bug with Linux where a setting on the firmware of the network card is occasionally incorrectly modified causing it to malfunction, when power is removed from the device the setting resets to default and normal functionality is restored.
    Last edited by Penguin Guy; February 28th, 2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: update situation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Single Ethernet Port Failure?

check ifconfig

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    check ifconfig
    Just added the output to the original post but it doesn't look like there's anything of interest in it.
    Last edited by Penguin Guy; May 7th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It may have gotten a funky firmware load. If you remove it from power for about 10 or 15 minutes, it may clear it.

Though, it is not very unusual for ethernet hardware to fail. I have seen it quite a bit over the years..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yeleek View Post
    As I said, it doesn't work in any operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    It may have gotten a funky firmware load. If you remove it from power for about 10 or 15 minutes, it may clear it.

Though, it is not very unusual for ethernet hardware to fail. I have seen it quite a bit over the years..
    I've had this problem for over a month now, so it's definitely been powered off for that amount of time. I've only had this computer for a year and wouldn't have expected a hardware failure, is it possible that it could be a loose wire or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    As I said, it doesn't work in any operating system.

I've had this problem for over a month now, so it's definitely been powered off for that amount of time. I've only had this computer for a year and wouldn't have expected a hardware failure, is it possible that it could be a loose wire or something?
    The connector is probably a surface mount, you could take a look at it to see if has bad soldier joint.

Beans
    Distro

Both ports are now intermittently ceasing to function, however it's easily fixed by removing and reattaching the cable.

Beans

The GA-EX58-UD5 is a defective motherboard. I should know, I have one. Also Gigabyte is refusing to honer their warranty on this board by sending the same defective motherboard back to me, claiming it has no defects.

Here is what I have had to do: I bought an EVGA board and moved all of my components over to it. The EVGA board is 100% stable, the Ethernet ports work on it, everything is fine. The Gigabyte board with all of the same components on it doesn't even boot (can't detect boot drive any more and was always intermittent about it before) and Gigabyte still claims it is "defect free". What a load of baloney!

I say boycott Gigabyte because their stuff don't work and they sham you out of your warranty. Does anybody know of a class action lawsuit over these defective products? Or should we start one now on this forum? I mean this is $300 Gigabyte is scamming me out of and I don't appreciate it.
    Last edited by BatteryKing; July 3rd, 2010 at 04:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast