Thread: Ubuntu Clock Slow In VMware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Ubuntu Clock Slow In VMware

When I first installed Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 on a new virtual machine using VMware Player 3.0.1, I noticed that Ubuntu's guest clock was two hours slow compared to my Windows host's clock. I corrected this problem manually, but when I installed and ran VMware Tools and selected "Time synchronization between the virtual machine and the host operating system", VMware Tools insisted on setting Ubuntu's guest clock two hours backwards again! Having to correct Ubuntu's guest clock over and over again is getting to be a real nuisance for me. Is there any way to force Ubuntu's guest clock to behave properly, or is there at least a way in Lucid Lynx to make Ubuntu's guest clock to synchronize with an Internet time server? (I was able to do that with a previous version of Ubuntu, and I just wondered what happened to that feature either in Lucid Lynx or a previous incarnation of Ubuntu.)

I thank you for any help you can give me in this matter.

Brandon Taylor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Clock Slow In VMware

Quote Originally Posted by robinhood2008 View Post
    When I first installed Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 on a new virtual machine using VMware Player 3.0.1, I noticed that Ubuntu's guest clock was two hours slow compared to my Windows host's clock. I corrected this problem manually, but when I installed and ran VMware Tools and selected "Time synchronization between the virtual machine and the host operating system", VMware Tools insisted on setting Ubuntu's guest clock two hours backwards again! Having to correct Ubuntu's guest clock over and over again is getting to be a real nuisance for me. Is there any way to force Ubuntu's guest clock to behave properly, or is there at least a way in Lucid Lynx to make Ubuntu's guest clock to synchronize with an Internet time server? (I was able to do that with a previous version of Ubuntu, and I just wondered what happened to that feature either in Lucid Lynx or a previous incarnation of Ubuntu.)

I thank you for any help you can give me in this matter.

Brandon Taylor
    If you set the Timezones correctly on the VM and the host there should not be a problem.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way