Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Commodore computers resurrected

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I just sent support@commodoreUSA.net the following email:

Hi,

I am an old Amigan, & I love much of the design of your new Commodore.

As you would have seen from the emails title my main question is how can you run AmigaOS on an Intel CPU based system?

Is there a rewrite of AmigaOS going on that will take it from PPC to x86, or is there another way to run AmigaOS on Intel?

There are quite a number of people on forums that I attend who would be VERY interested in the answers to this.

Also, hopefully you will be marketing a machine in the future that will provide a superior GPU, preferably ATi, as their open-source drivers are really starting to get it together, & will be great this year.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
    Have you received a reply yet to your email? I guess if you had you would of posted it here

I love the forums. Reading this thread i learned more about this computer than I have in the past couple weeks through other media sources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by duanedesign View Post
    Have you received a reply yet to your email? I guess if you had you would of posted it here
    No reply.

I think they saw my email as one from an uninformed enthusiast. We have all learned a lot more since I wrote that.

I also think that they haven't got time to waste, as the way that their web page is being developed indicates that they seem to be in a rush.

Quote Originally Posted by duanedesign View Post
    I love the forums. Reading this thread i learned more about this computer than I have in the past couple weeks through other media sources.
    Yes, we benefit from the large number of researchers of various topics that are members of the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by haddog View Post
    has anyone ordered one of these?
    I purchased a refurbed system from Cybernetman a couple of years ago. It is an Elite-4 model, which doesn't have a touch pad. It was bought so I could continue to use Win2K in a portable system. I sometimes have to spend weeks to months living and working out of a motel room. I have never liked XP so it was method to allow me to keep from migrating upward on the M$ treadmill. Not to long after it was acquired, I decided to make the move to Linux, which was a good one.

It works fine with 2K and 8.04 Hardy. I use an XVGA monitor and 2K doesn't have a good driver, so things are distorted a bit, but that is not the hardwares fault. In Hardy it works just fine with the XVGA monitor. I just downloaded Video drivers from their site, to see if they are newer than what I have. I continue to dual boot, as I have a couple of things that need ******* to run and one website that needs IE only for one portion of it. I keep threatening to capture some packets to see if I can create a Firefox plugin to solve that issue. But, for now it is easier to fire up ******* either in a VM or natively.

If you are short on space, they are great. But, they are not made for gaming, etc. (I assume as I am not a gamer) The model I have takes about twice as long to rip a DVD using Acidrip, as an old AMD 939 3400 that just recently had to be retired. I haven't ripped anything on the new machine to compare. It could be a memory issue for that, as the Elite-4 only has 1 gig and the AMD had 3 gig, so the slowness may be entirely memory. For day to day email, word processing, spreadheets, etc., it does just great. It also handles a virtual machine fairly well, at least one running 2K.

If anyone has more questions, please ask. If I know the answer I will reply and if I don't I'll say so. Hope this gives everyone an idea of what they are. As has been stated, they are not cheap. But, I also like the fact that I could replace most everything from sources other than the manufacturer, which is something you normally can't do with laptops, except hard drives and memory.

This has gotten long enough.

Beans
    Hidden!

Looks like you can order them now. Pretty nifty.
    http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Commodore64 is REBORN!!!

Hey,

Check it out: http://youtu.be/z6EswIQFV2Y

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Threads merged.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Threads merged.
    Now you have to lock the thread and give yourself an infraction for thread necromancy.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Now you have to lock the thread and give yourself an infraction for thread necromancy.
    Didn't feel like locking the other thread.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast