Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't install Toshiba Satellite E205

Beans

Angry Can't install Toshiba Satellite E205

Hi I've been trying to figure this out all day, I just got a new Toshiba Satellite E205, and I can't install ubuntu or any other linux os out there that I have tried so far. I've read a lot of things on the forms about changing out the different options but nothing I've tried worked such as graffic safe mode, deleting the quite and whatever the other command was off the end. The closest I've got was when I tried with Debian in text mode I could at least see what was happening, and according to that it can't find my dvd-rom I checked the \dev but I can't find it either. So any help what so ever would be appreciated, I really don't want to be stuck with windows 7!

Ohh BTW, it comes with the following: intel graphics media accelerator HD ACPI x64 DVDRAM ga10f

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't install Toshiba Satellite E205

Does it work if you boot with a 10.04 live CD?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just purchased the same laptop and with the 10.04 imaged using the no acpi option on boot I was able to boot and install. I could not boot once the install completed, but this was due to the fact that I need to set the same option for the grub boot loader. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Gary

Beans

I eventually got 9.10 to install, but no luck getting to see the login screen, I'm downloading 10.04 right now so hopefully this will fix my problem!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by linuxlovinwarren View Post
    I eventually got 9.10 to install, but no luck getting to see the login screen, I'm downloading 10.04 right now so hopefully this will fix my problem!
    It sounds like video driver related. Do you know which video card do you have?

Also, you can try this: Boot the computer but at the grub menu don't hit Enter to boot ubuntu. Highlight the ubuntu option but hit 'e'. That will show the boot commands. In the line starting with linux.... at the end add:

vga=771

That should be basic video mode. Hit Ctrl + X and see if it will boot the desktop that way. If it does, and once you tell which video card you have, we can sort out a driver.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

it's a intel gma hd card in it, I'm going to try this 10.04 to see if it works with the no acpi option for me like it did for galley on the same laptop, but otherwise it's a video problem for sure. Because I can see the circle of friends come up and the kernal and stuff all loading underneath them but it looks bad, then it blanks out,btw I have to use the i915.modeset=0 to get that

Beans

alright tryed the vga=771 it said something about gfxpayload but didn't do anything, back to downloading

Beans

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!
    Alot of work to find out that 10.04 works perfect with the acpi=off statement!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Congratulations. Do you feel like writing a brief summary on
    http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/ ?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

By the way, you will need to press the F6 key during the boot process and the Ubuntu menu will at some point appear. Then be sure that the acpi=off has an "X" next to it under the F6 boot options.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast