Thread: ssh keys only good for specific pc?

Beans

ssh keys only good for specific pc?

I have enabled ssh key based logins for one of my servers and disabled normal password based logins.

It just occurred to me that the public key which I generated on my pc, and uploaded to the servers authorized_keys, may in fact only apply to my local PC / user account.

So basically if my system crashes I would have no way to login to the server...? Is it not possible to "share" public keys so other people (PCs / accounts) can use them?

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: ssh keys only good for specific pc?

What is important is the public - private key pair. Anyone with the private key can gain access. You upload the public key to the server and keep the private key on the client. If you were to put the private key on multiple PCs, it should authenticate each of them.

The downside to this is twofold: 1 - multiple copies of the private key increases the likelihood of it becoming compromised. 2 - if it does become compromised, it is more work to replace all of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Why not carry your ssh key on a usb stick with a strong passphrase.
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD

Beans

SSH dual key access ONLY effects your remote log on. I use dual key access with the password access option disabled.
    It does not impair your ability to log on at the local console.

FlaHAM