Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing 9.10 version - Partitioning issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Installing 9.10 version - Partitioning issues

Hi everyone,

I've searched through the forums and official site, and found a great deal of information regarding Ubuntu 8.x, but I still have trouble finding a way through the installation process. The thing is I can't find any instructions regarding how to create a partition to keep dual booting (not interested in Wubi), due to huge differences between the options I'm supposed to find according to tutorials and the ones I actually come across during installation process (never found a "resize" option or bar anywhere, I swear I've searched)

Thanks to whoever takes the time,

G.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing 9.10 version - Partitioning issues

Personally I resize partitions with gparted, then install, makes it easier.

Also if you look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

They have pictures for what you want, see the second Step 8 =)
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Does selecting "Boot up side-by-side" in the installation menu not work for you?

Also, don't forget to defrag your windows installation before installing linux to not lose any data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've already made a defrag, and also left nearly 50gb of free space in an 80gb disk. I've made backups for every important file I have.

I get the options

- Erase and use entire disk --->(right now, no way)
    - Use the largest continuous free space ---->(doesn't work, of course)
    - Specify partitions manually ---->(the one I'm trying to use, and which leads us

=> To a screen with a long green bar (can't move it) with the options "Change" (lonnng list of arcane options for a poor philologist with no particular computing knowledge), "Reverse" and the third one meant "Delete", although it wasn't exactly put that way. There's also a gray "Add" option, and another one that is meant to create a new partition, but which seems to erase everything and begin from zero when I try to use it.

(do I need to say I feel frustrated an a tiny bit stupid?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've checked the Graphic Install. It's meant for 8.x.

What's gparted?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

GPartEd is the partition editor used by Ubuntu (and others) to manage and edit hard drive partitions. You have GPartEd on your Ubuntu Live CD (System/Administration/Partition Editor) or you can use the GPartEd Live CD which you can download from the webpage I provided the link to above.

As far as partitioning operations, you might like to read at the link in my signature block below. After that, you can choose the "Manual" method, select the partitions you create, and mark the mount points for each partition you want to use. That, or you can resize your Windows (?) partition and choose to "- Use the largest continuous free space" which will work since you will have created the free space by resizing your other partition.
    73 from Glenn - KG5UC "Mungo just pawn in game of Life"
    Bump Thread Post #39000 - How To Partition

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by guadaatenea View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've searched through the forums and official site, and found a great deal of information regarding Ubuntu 8.x, but I still have trouble finding a way through the installation process. The thing is I can't find any instructions regarding how to create a partition to keep dual booting (not interested in Wubi), due to huge differences between the options I'm supposed to find according to tutorials and the ones I actually come across during installation process (never found a "resize" option or bar anywhere, I swear I've searched)

Thanks to whoever takes the time,

G.
    Okay, I would definitely avoid partitioning before you actually install. Its useful for users that know what to do, and these are only in cases where users want to split their installs into separate partitions.

Perhaps you are using the Alternate Install disc? I remember I accidentally used the alternate disc once and it didnt work too well also.

Try re-downloading the normal Desktop install cd and burn it again. There is an option to install Ubuntu side-by-side for the regular desktop. You could then take it from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

How many primary partitions do you have?

The reason why you're seeing different options in tutorials is because they've changed the wording of the auto-partitioning choices in almost every distro. So a tutorial that was written for anything other than the exact distro you're using may not look familiar.

Did you burn the install CD yourself? Did you burn it slowly? Did you use a good quality CD-R, not a -RW? I'm just wondering if the CD is good. Did you use the "Check CD for errors" option when it first boots up?
    Last edited by Bartender; January 7th, 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My HD is all in one piece, I'd chosen not to make partitions back when I bought my PC and had Windows XP installed.

As for my CD, I didn't check it for errors, I was planning to do so the next time I boot from it, but there's no good reason to think it might have any defects, I used a good quality cd and my drive has never burned cds with errors yet.

I didn't know there's an alternate one, but as I downloaded from here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download I don't think there are big chances I may have gotten it wrong, are there?

Anyhow, the plan for the moment is to try to follow the instructions in this http://bit.ly/7gwBdM tutorial, which actually describes the screens I have. If that doesn't work, I'll see if Gparted looks too advanced for me (well, Tom's warnings do seem a bit discouraging). If it does look tricky, I'll try to resize the area Windows is using with Partition Magic, with a little help from a friend of mine who should get an award for patience, and then try installing Ubuntu using the "largest free space" option. If I feel like walking in a minefield and I don't dare to do that (my friend can help me on the phone but he lives a good many miles away), well, then I'll see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast