Thread: good wireless adaptor for 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

good wireless adaptor for 9.10?

I'm looking to buy a wireless USB adapter that I can easily configure in NetworkManager without any trouble. I'm looking to buy it from either newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. I've looked on this site for advice but the list seems to out-of-date. Could you please provide some suggestions on a brand/ model to purchase? Thanks.

PS. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit desktop edition. The router I will be connecting to will most likely by a linksys router that will be password protected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: good wireless adaptor for 9.10?

anyone?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by bovus View Post
    I've looked on this site for advice but the list seems to out-of-date.
    Yes, it's hopelessly out of date, but some of the links under the heading 'By Manufacturer' are semi-useful.

The main problem with giving you a direct recommendation is that manufacturers have a habit of changing the chipset but not changing the model number, just the revision number. So if someone recommends a particular brand and model number, that recommendation is not particularly helpful. An example. A link from the link you gave:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...ardsBelkin#USB

Look at what Belkin has done with the F5D7050. I happen to have two F5D7050's. They have different chipsets - Zydas and Ralink - and both work well with Ubuntu. But I wouldn't want to struggle with the Realtek one. At the moment, here in the UK, Belkin are using Ralink, which came in handy when I bought one for a relative running Jaunty. It 'just worked'. So I might be tempted to suggest this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...259&CatId=2688

... except that there's no guarantee that US Belkin F5D7050's are shipping with the same chipset as UK ones.

There's a consumer law in the UK that says if I buy from a distance seller (over the internet) I have the right to return the goods within 10 days and get a refund - no reason given. Do you have a similar law where you are? If so, you could order that and, if it doesn't work, ask for a refund.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks! I'm going to try my luck with the Belkin adapter you suggested. There was a customer review that stated it "just worked" on Ubuntu 8.10 so hopefully it works the same for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The card form Edimax work well too.
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Yes, it's hopelessly out of date, but some of the links under the heading 'By Manufacturer' are semi-useful.

The main problem with giving you a direct recommendation is that manufacturers have a habit of changing the chipset but not changing the model number, just the revision number. So if someone recommends a particular brand and model number, that recommendation is not particularly helpful. An example. A link from the link you gave:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...ardsBelkin#USB

Look at what Belkin has done with the F5D7050. I happen to have two F5D7050's. They have different chipsets - Zydas and Ralink - and both work well with Ubuntu. But I wouldn't want to struggle with the Realtek one. At the moment, here in the UK, Belkin are using Ralink, which came in handy when I bought one for a relative running Jaunty. It 'just worked'. So I might be tempted to suggest this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...259&CatId=2688

... except that there's no guarantee that US Belkin F5D7050's are shipping with the same chipset as UK ones.

There's a consumer law in the UK that says if I buy from a distance seller (over the internet) I have the right to return the goods within 10 days and get a refund - no reason given. Do you have a similar law where you are? If so, you could order that and, if it doesn't work, ask for a refund.
    Hi,

Do you know if the UK version of the Belkin G USB wireless adaptor will work on xubuntu 9.10 out of the box or will it require some installation/tweaking?

Thanks,

Mark
    "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by sau99ms View Post
    Hi,

Do you know if the UK version of the Belkin G USB wireless adaptor will work on xubuntu 9.10 out of the box or will it require some installation/tweaking?

Thanks,

Mark
    Double-check what I wrote in my December post and also the information in the first link in my post. The answer is: "It depends."

The best you can do is go into whichever store you are going to use (PCWorld, Staples, whatever), get the precise model number from the box - i.e. not just 'FWD-7050', but what comes after the 7050 and any revision number - and check it against that link and hope for the best.

For what it's worth, the one I bought for a relative I bought from one of Bennett's stores, mainly because they were stocking one which came with a dandy little USB stand, which makes things tidy when using a desktop. I noticed that the Belkins stocked in other stores were just the bare dongle without the stand, clearly intended for an (older) laptop. Whether they had the same chipset as the one I bought, I have no idea.

However, if you want a USB wireless dongle that is guaranteed to work in Ubuntu, have a look here:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/

At the moment they're selling a D-Link one which has printed on the box, "Works with MacOS X, Linux and Windows." \o/ I'm glad they put Windows last.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Double-check what I wrote in my December post and also the information in the first link in my post. The answer is: "It depends."

The best you can do is go into whichever store you are going to use (PCWorld, Staples, whatever), get the precise model number from the box - i.e. not just 'FWD-7050', but what comes after the 7050 and any revision number - and check it against that link and hope for the best.

For what it's worth, the one I bought for a relative I bought from one of Bennett's stores, mainly because they were stocking one which came with a dandy little USB stand, which makes things tidy when using a desktop. I noticed that the Belkins stocked in other stores were just the bare dongle without the stand, clearly intended for an (older) laptop. Whether they had the same chipset as the one I bought, I have no idea.

However, if you want a USB wireless dongle that is guaranteed to work in Ubuntu, have a look here:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/

At the moment they're selling a D-Link one which has printed on the box, "Works with MacOS X, Linux and Windows." \o/ I'm glad they put Windows last.
    Thanks for the link, Coffeecat! Hope all is well in E. Anglia!

Cheers,

Mark (in Wiltshire )
    "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Beans

Hello, I plugged in a Belkin F5D 7050 Wireless G and a Belkin N ver: 3000x wireless usb adapter. Both worked with no problems. I am considering trying a Belkin N1 Express card for my Hp PC as it wont stick out so much! Hopefully it should work as well as the other 2.
    Last edited by ruudspark; March 18th, 2010 at 03:22 PM.