Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying out Linux again

Beans

Re: Trying out Linux again

If you use your computer for music, and find a Linux distro that works for you.
    You may want to try Energy XT2, it has a native Linux client, but also runs great under wine, so you can use VST compiled for windows.

http://www.energy-xt.com/
    It's dirt cheap, and you can try it out before purchasing.

You need WineASIO for best VST compatibility, but my wife has made an automatic installer:
    http://www.sandgreen.dk/index.php?side=linux_wineasio

When you are up and running, try to install this sweetie:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1818.html

And prepare yourself for a seriously awesome sounding guitar.
    http://www.buffalox.dk
    Warning may contain MS bashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Man, don't install linux on a Macbook. What will you do if you break OSX?

Also, ubuntu will never be equivalent to OSX- they follow different design philosophies and have different goals.

If you front the money for the expensive hardware and OS, use it! For a linux box I'd recommend some cheap, old Thinkpad, honestly... but that's just how I do it.

Do your own thing- but don't say I didn't warn you.
    Never sleep. Live in terminal. Think in code.

(-o___o-)

Beans
    Distro

Oh, forgot your original question.

If you STILL really want to try *nix, I would suggest, as someone said before, OpenSUSE. Yast will make configuration even easier than Ubuntu. It's basically the noobiest distro out there ^___^

Alternately, another really easy distro that will help if you're still having driver problems is Linux Mint- basically Ubuntu with all sorts of proprietary drivers, flash, etc. included to make things easier for you... with Ubuntu you would have to know what to install right off the bat.

Honestly, these distros, and Fedora, are all roughly equivalent, except for the minor differences I just mentioned, and the fact that OpenSUSE and Fedora use the .rpm instead of the .deb.

You will barely notice a difference... but honestly .deb has WAY more packages and better dependency handling.

In short I would recommend you try any of these, and if you still have driver problems, try Linux Mint!

(-o___o-)

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by rootless View Post
    Man, don't install linux on a Macbook. What will you do if you break OSX?

Also, ubuntu will never be equivalent to OSX- they follow different design philosophies and have different goals.

If you front the money for the expensive hardware and OS, use it! For a linux box I'd recommend some cheap, old Thinkpad, honestly... but that's just how I do it.

Do your own thing- but don't say I didn't warn you.
    What are you talking about ? I always have some version of Linux installed on my Macs.

Beans

Okay, I have Fedora 12 installed right now.. The interface is really polished. The Intel drivers seem to work well, because the games run at a much smoother framerate than on Ubuntu or Arch Linux. Everything works so far, but I haven't tested out all my external hardware. So far, I like fedora 12. No crashes yet, no slowness either (in fact, it's quite speedy). But it's probably not going to replace anything just yet.
    Last edited by arelis; November 20th, 2009 at 11:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

CentOS is a very stable system based on RedHat.. I like it a lot..
    Give it a try and let us know

You have Debian , its a rely stable distro and it supports most of the harware out there
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.[Albert Einstein]
    http://www.tuxgeek.org
    Where there is a shell there is a way !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX View Post
    If you use your computer for music, and find a Linux distro that works for you.
    You may want to try Energy XT2, it has a native Linux client, but also runs great under wine, so you can use VST compiled for windows.
    Sounds good, i'll do that sometime.

http://www.energy-xt.com/

You need WineASIO for best VST compatibility, but my wife has made an automatic installer:
    http://www.sandgreen.dk/index.php?side=linux_wineasio
    Thanks

When you are up and running, try to install this sweetie:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1818.html

And prepare yourself for a seriously awesome sounding guitar.
    Ooh

Beans
    Distro

I'm saying installing linux on a Mac is sub-optimal, for numerous reasons.

Do what you want guys, it's your hardware, (god knows you paid good money for it) but honestly, why blow the money mac hardware if you're going to run linux on it anyway? Mac costs more because you're paying for a fully integrated experience.

It's cheaper to go with non-designer hardware. Ubuntu looks just the same on both.

I'm not going to tell you what to do (that would be stupid) but in the interest of empowering you I would suggest that there are better ways of doing what you want to do.
    Last edited by rootless; November 20th, 2009 at 11:44 PM.

(-o___o-)

Beans

Do what you want guys, it's your hardware, (god knows you paid good money for it) but honestly, why blow the money mac hardware if you're going to run linux on it anyway? Mac costs more because you're paying for a fully integrated experience.
    That's one of the reasons i'm trying out Linux again - if it works well, and provides everything I need, why would I continue paying for Mac hardware? My next computer would be a PC, then.

It's cheaper to go with non-designer hardware. Ubuntu looks just the same on both.

I'm not going to tell you what to do (that would be stupid) but in the interest of empowering you I would suggest that there are better ways of doing what you want to do.
    Such as?
    Last edited by arelis; November 20th, 2009 at 11:55 PM.

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have Macs so I can know how they work, the hardware they have, and so I can test things on OS X. This way, I get a rounded knowledge of every OS. I install Linux because it's more stable(once I've set it up), and because I prefer to work under Linux. I build the rest of my computers, and if Apple didn't lock in their OS, I would put OS X on a home built computer, so I wouldn't be limited to their pretty but not cheap hardware.

To OP : Testing how Linux runs on Mac hardware isn't the best way to tell if it'll run a home built system. It'll run much better on a home built system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast