Thread: Ebay

Beans

Ebay

Hello all. New user here. Tired of the windows thing. Constant updated, viruses, a new pricey version every year.....

Somebody at work pointed Ubuntu.

My internet is slow so I must buy the CDs. I want to try a few different flavors to see which I like best.

I saw an Ebay seller selling a Linux CD with 3 version on it or maybe 3 disc,

UBUNTU 11
    VECTOR LINUX
    LINUX MINT

A few questions,

Can people sell Ubuntu?

Is it possible for some Ubuntu haters to be selling fake linux discs with viruses to try to deter some?

How can I know if this is authentic?

Thanks

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Ebay

Nothing "illegal" in it - they will most likely state the cost is the disc/postage - not the software.

If you cannot download the ISO of any distro yourself (low bandwidth etc) then source your distro from a magazine cover CD or get it posted from the official website for that particular flavour.

I would not like to think what may be on any "distro CD" found on eBay
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by ubunt54064 View Post
    Hello all. New user here. Tired of the windows thing. Constant updated, viruses, a new pricey version every year.....

Somebody at work pointed Ubuntu.

My internet is slow so I must buy the CDs. I want to try a few different flavors to see which I like best.

I saw an Ebay seller selling a Linux CD with 3 version on it or maybe 3 disc,

UBUNTU 11
    VECTOR LINUX
    LINUX MINT

A few questions,

Can people sell Ubuntu?

Is it possible for some Ubuntu haters to be selling fake linux discs with viruses to try to deter some?

How can I know if this is authentic?

Thanks

they usually dont 'sell' Linux, its more to pay for the disks, postage packaging and download costs (some ISPs have download limits etc)

they could put things on the disks that could erase your hard drive, or stuff like that. Though i dont know how likely it would be. As this sorta thing is usually aimed at windows users. Only way is to check their ebay ratings and reviews i guess...

you could buy ubuntu CDs from the linux sources themselves? eg:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/cds
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi,

Instead of buying Ubuntu off Ebay, why not download it yourself and burn to a CD and try it from there, here is the link
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
    There is no reality, no truth, only a set of social constructs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by fidelandche View Post
    Hi,

Instead of buying Ubuntu off Ebay, why not download it yourself and burn to a CD and try it from there, here is the link
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
    ubunt54064 cant cus they have slow internet..

"Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans

I second the magazine suggestion - you might have to wait for your particular choices to come round, but from what I recall there's usually at least one major distro per issue.

+ a lot of free software too - which if downloading is a pain, would be helpful I imagine,

Beans

You can buy official Ubuntu CDs here:

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17

Where do you live? There may be a local users group (LUG) who will gladly install Ubuntu on your machine and show you how to get started.

An internet connection is highly recommended to use Ubuntu. You will have roughly 1gb of downloads every 6 months to keep current with updates. (Not including any additional applications you will no doubt install from the Software Center.) Keep this in mind if you have a very slow connection.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Ebay

From personal experience with the Ebay disks - I bought 5 to try out 5 versions of Linux years ago, and all were basically junk disks as I couldn't do a thing with them - I'd stick to a few choices for disks:

- by mail from the actual vendor, such as Canonical

- from disks included in magazines

- ask a local computer club if someone can help you

- check with a local high school or college - a lot of times there will be someone there quite willing to help

- if you have a notebook, or can borrow one, that has a disk burner, consider going to your local library or a place of business that has free access. Remember, if it's a place of business, please make at least a purchase (restaurants, etc., appreciate someone at least buying a drink or something say every hour or so).

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can people sell Ubuntu?
    Sure, no reason why not. If nobody was ever going to pay to use Ubuntu, Canonical would be going out of business pretty quick.