Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SuSE is ummm weird

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: SuSE is ummm weird *sux*

Quote Originally Posted by nickle
    I am surprised that so many people do not like YAST. Apart from the package management, which is a dog compared to the apt tools, I like YAST. I like the idea of having all the important admin stuff together. I would indeed like if ubuntu would adopt and adapt the good parts of YAST... just a thought...
    I find myself in the same "corner" as nickle; I see YaST as a strength, perhaps only for noobs like me , whereas more experienced linux users may find it gets in the way. I too would like to see some adoption of a YaST concept in ubuntu, especially for the beginner. Whether you use it or not would be your choice.
    Linux user 394816 / Ubuntu user 16154 Lenovo 3000 N100 Laptop :T2400(1.83GHz), 2GB RAM, 100GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1280x800 LCD, Intel 950, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, Bluetooth/Modem, 10/100 Realtek Ethernet, Fingerprint reader

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

I use both SUSE and Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I find they run relitivitly the same, in terms of speed on my hardware.

I guess its all a matter of taste, like cars! They all can get you from a - b, but all do it differently, some do some things better in this area and others in that area.

Im still tossing up which on to use as my main distro.

Beans
    Hidden!

Note:
    1. Any more bashing, this thread's going to the yard.
    2. Do not turn this thread into a technical support thread. We have the SuSE forums and our specific areas for that.

If you haven't done anything, ignore this message. If you have, read it, don't reply to it. On-topic.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I actually know why it was slow. For some reason it's X was using vmware instead of nv rendering........... Like i said SuSE is weird
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I had the same problem with breezy (using nv)

The moral is most of the problems people bash a distro for can have very easy fixes. SuSE probably just set up a driver that isn't the best for your hardware. That doesn't make it a slow distro.

I had a friend that wouldn't use Ubuntu because he didn't think it had a gui. He asked "650MB and no GUI?" Turns out he just doesn't read error messages (x.org failing to start is a pretty big one.) He went back to gentoo.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Qrk
    I had the same problem with breezy (using nv)

The moral is most of the problems people bash a distro for can have very easy fixes. SuSE probably just set up a driver that isn't the best for your hardware. That doesn't make it a slow distro.

I had a friend that wouldn't use Ubuntu because he didn't think it had a gui. He asked "650MB and no GUI?" Turns out he just doesn't read error messages (x.org failing to start is a pretty big one.) He went back to gentoo.
    HAHA ROFL, the dude is a Gentoo user and couldn't get a GUI to run on Ubuntu. Definetly interesting. SuSE is actually pretty weird as far as it's xorg.conf file was as well, it was mad bloated I had a hard time navigating around. I think it didn't autodetect my hardware all that well cuz it had config options for like every mode known to man. I didn't actually say it was slow that's why I thought it was weird, the apps started up as fast as Ubuntu but afterwards........ Oh well
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12