Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to move to Canada (Vancouver) somebody is from there?

Hybrid View

Beans

I'd like to move to Canada (Vancouver) somebody is from there?

Hi guys,
    I am Matteo from Italy.
    I am now a 2nd year PhD student specializing in Geographycal Information Systems and Earthquake. Once finished my PhD in Japan I am thinking to move in Vancouver (Columbia University).
    As I still have 1 year and half, I am thinking to go there to see how is before obviously....
    But now I'd like to know if somebody of you is from Vancouver and has some spare time to have a bit of chat with me about his city as I do not trust so much what I read from books and internet.

Thank you very much for those that will be so kind to dedicate me a bit of their time.
    Regards,
    Matteo

p.s. why I wrote here? because I am a ubuntu/debian/archlinux user and I trust very much the linux community
    Last edited by ilcontegis; September 26th, 2009 at 08:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I'd like to move to Canada (Vancouver) somebody is from there?

Quote Originally Posted by ilcontegis View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am Matteo from Italy.
    I am now a 2nd year PhD student specializing in Geographycal Information Systems and Earthquake. Once finished my PhD in Japan I am thinking to move in Vancouver (Columbia University).
    As I still have 1 year and half, I am thinking to go there to see how is before obviously....
    But now I'd like to know if somebody of you is from Vancouver and has some spare time to have a bit of chat with me about his city as I do not trust so much what I read from books and internet.

Thank you very much for those that will be so kind to dedicate me a bit of their time.
    Regards,
    Matteo

p.s. why I wrote here? because I am a ubuntu/debian/archlinux user and I trust very much the linux community
    Great Post!

Vancouver is the most beautiful city in North America! while I don't live there (wish I did) I do visit Vancouver very often.

Vancouver has perhaps one of the largest 'Chinatowns' in North America it makes the ones in San Francisco and New York pale in comparison.

Think of Vancouver as the Emerald City (like in the Wizard of Oz) a lot of the buildings are new and done in a beautiful Emerald green glass, this with the downtown surrounded by water and the mountains rising up dramatically in the background.

I can not say enough about the city, and the very friendly people.

Not having lived there I can not give any good advice on which is the best neighborhood to settle in but I suspect you want to be close to your school.

Good Luck! Vancouver is very beautiful and a great city yet it does have it seedy districts also; which some may find interesting still, ie Gaslight district.

On a side note, historically Vancouver and practically all of British Columbia was once part of the "Oregon Territory"; in the state of Oregon you will find the most beautiful city ion the USA: Portland, Oregon but Vancouver, BC reigns as the most beautiful city in North America (IMHO).
    Last edited by HappinessNow; September 26th, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I'd think you'd want to move there anyway. Don't they have a pretty good earthquake ratio per year? Especially Vancouver.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    I'd think you'd want to move there anyway. Don't they have a pretty good earthquake ratio per year? Especially Vancouver.
    Not as high as California or Anchorage, Alaska but the whole Pacific Northwest has active volcanoes in the Cascade Range which contribute to Earthquake activity.

Also Vancouver BC has a high percentage of European and Asian populations which makes it very diversified.
    Last edited by HappinessNow; September 26th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Vancouver doesn't even have one noticeable earthquake every year. This may not be the best time to do an exchange to Vancouver because the Olympics are happening next year. This means housing prices are skyrocketing.

When you say Columbia University, you mean University of British Columbia right?
    Last edited by cta16; September 26th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cta16 View Post
    Vancouver doesn't even have one noticeable earthquake every year. This may not be the best time to do an exchange to Vancouver because the Olympics are happening next year. This means housing prices are skyrocketing.
    Not to worry the OP stated he is a 2nd year PHd student, it still has a year and a half to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ilcontegis View Post

As I still have 1 year and half,...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cta16 View Post

When you say Columbia University, you mean University of British Columbia right?
    Yes I mean the British Columbia University. Sorry.
    I will go after the Olympics so it should be ok I hope.
    In Vancouver the seismic activity is not that much remarkable (1 to 3 degree of magnitudo) but still around there there is a quite high activity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by 今幸福 View Post
    On a side note, historically Vancouver and practically all of British Columbia was once part of the "Oregon Territory"; in the state of Oregon you will find the most beautiful city ion the USA: Portland, Oregon but Vancouver, BC reigns as the most beautiful city in North America (IMHO).
    Incorrect. No part of BC has ever been claimed by the United States.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Simon Fraser just joined the NCAA.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    "54 40' or fight"? I guess it was never officially claimed by the US, but there certainly were people who wanted it to happen.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast