Thread: Help me help myself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Help me help myself

Ok,

Aeh, hem, I'm having dismal gameplay with Slune, I'm real new and have been trying to pick up what you guys are putting down but it's tough....but I'm trying. I have an ATI 9800 pro card. I typed the command and this is what it says. Question: what does all that mean?

bash: glxgears-printfps: command not found
    kenoutten@ubuntubedroom:~$ glxgears -printfps
    992 frames in 5.8 seconds = 170.279 FPS
    960 frames in 5.4 seconds = 178.389 FPS
    840 frames in 5.6 seconds = 149.353 FPS
    960 frames in 5.4 seconds = 179.283 FPS
    960 frames in 5.4 seconds = 179.413 FPS
    960 frames in 5.4 seconds = 179.416 FPS
    960 frames in 6.0 seconds = 160.368 FPS
    960 frames in 5.3 seconds = 179.889 FPS
    1560 frames in 5.4 seconds = 291.060 FPS
    1560 frames in 5.4 seconds = 290.957 FPS
    1320 frames in 5.2 seconds = 253.169 FPS
    840 frames in 5.5 seconds = 152.324 FPS
    1080 frames in 5.0 seconds = 214.761 FPS
    840 frames in 5.4 seconds = 154.892 FPS
    Any such thing as a bad day? Naw, every day you wake up is a good day!

Beans

Re: Help me help myself

that is giving you your frames per second in openGL 3d.

It is not a true benchmark, but it gives a pretty good indication of what's going on with your 3d graphics.

Those numbers are pretty low. Meaning that you don't have much 3d capacity there at the moment.

Have you found out whether your ati card is supported by the new ati drivers?

This could make quite a difference to those numbers.

If your card is supported. If not probably your only way out, if you have an agp slot is to buy a new graphics card, nVidia have the best drivers. I expect that you don't really want to do that. But sometimes we come to dead ends. Hopefully you haven't!
    Last edited by handy; February 5th, 2006 at 10:52 AM.

Beans

As far as the getting used do Ubuntu (linux) part of your post.

Dual booting is the most painless way to migrate. It takes the pressure off. Everyone finds the learning curve very steep when learning a new operating system (OS). The very beginning is the worst. Know that in a month it will be so much better, & on it goes. In 12 months you won't believe how capable you are in this amazing OS. & you have an incredible community here, that rarely fails to come up with the goods, & pretty fast too.

Unfortunately if you are a game player, you are going to have to learn a few tricks with software called Wine & Cedega, if you want to play some of the ******* games on linux. Wine is free, Cedega is commercial, but quite cheap to get what you need, usually. I won't flood you with details now.

Take it slow, & you will enjoy it more, try to plan to aviod frustration. That's why I suggest dual booting, you can play any ******* games while you are still working out Ubuntu, & getting games working here.

[EDIT:] You don't have to start a new thread, sometimes it takes a while for answers to come, the vast majority of help here is voluntary, so people are freely giving of their time to help you! Pretty good eh?
    Last edited by handy; February 5th, 2006 at 09:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Closing the thread, no need for double posting. Just be patience...

.:=The AI Dude=:.