Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help to recover from botched installation

Beans

Red face Need help to recover from botched installation

I did a dual boot install of 9.04 on a T43 Thinkpad with a 80 GB drive and everything seemed to go fine. XP in a 25 GB partition & Ubuntu in a 50 GB partition.

After the install I also installed some software packages with the add/remove tool. Again, everything seemed to go fine. I was then prompted to also install some updates. I installed all the updates except those relating to Evolution since I was intending to use Thunderbird instead of Evolution.

Apparently, this was a BIG mistake because now when I try to launch Ubuntu - instead of the log in screen - I get a reddish flash across the top of the screen and 4 columns of narrow alternating black & white horizontal stripes filling most of the rest of the screen. Fortunately, XP still works...

How can I recover from this? TIA.

James
    Last edited by jheis; August 18th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.

Beans

Re: Need help to recover from botched installation

Bump. Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since you only used Ubuntu for a day, I just recommend that you do a clean install of Ubuntu.

My reccomendation is that you ALWASYS check ALL updates, just in case, although I doubt that it was those updates that caused your system to crash.

If you need tips on the reinstall, let me know.
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jheis View Post
    I did a dual boot install of 9.04 on a T43 Thinkpad with a 80 GB drive and everything seemed to go fine. XP in a 25 GB partition & Ubuntu in a 50 GB partition.

After the install I also installed some software packages with the add/remove tool. Again, everything seemed to go fine. I was then prompted to also install some updates. I installed all the updates except those relating to Evolution since I was intending to use Thunderbird instead of Evolution.

Apparently, this was a BIG mistake because now when I try to launch Ubuntu - instead of the log in screen - I get a reddish flash across the top of the screen and 4 columns of narrow alternating black & white horizontal stripes filling most of the rest of the screen. Fortunately, XP still works...

How can I recover from this? TIA.

James
    Boot your machine, at the GRUB menu choose recovery mode. Be patient as all the text scrolls on your screen- let it finish. Choose fix x from the menu, you may have to scroll down to see it. When that is complete choose resume normal boot and see what happens.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans

Well, I tried running xfix in the recovery mode and now instead of the 4 columns of black and white stripes I'm getting the red flash at the top of the screen a couple of green & purple streaks across the middle of the screen and a corrupted bottom half of the "Windows is shutting down" screen... Seeing "Windows" gave me a bit of a start fearing that Ubuntu had trashed the XP partition as well, but XP still works.

I've also tied dpkg & fsck with no luck.

I'm ready to try a new install, but the Ubuntu installation program wants to install along side the two existing OS (XP & 9.04).

So, I need help. How do I uninstall the corrupted Ubuntu & do a fresh install.

James

Beans
    Hidden!

So, I need help. How do I uninstall the corrupted Ubuntu & do a fresh install.

James
    James,

2 options :

1. On partitioning stage, select manual. Highlight the appropriate partition as your ubuntu may be installed inside an EXTENDED partition, set the mountpoint root (/) and format to either ext3 or ext4. This will rewrite over the old 9.04.

2. You can boot into the liveCD and go in live session to access gparted (system > admin > partition editor. In gparted, click on swap and select swap-off. Then, use gparted to delete the old 9.04 leaving the space unallocated. Exit gparted and continue with the install ... selecting (use available free space -something to that wording).

You can also use this opportunity to create a separate /home partition for future re-installation issues.

Whatever you choose ... have your files backed-up first. Post back if you are unsure or need more assistance. Remember ... during the install, you have a chance to back-off until step 7.

If unsure, post a screenshot of gparted and we can go from there. It'll help the forum visualize the install.

Good luck.
    Last edited by raymondh; August 19th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

I followed Raymond's instructions & used gparted to try to fix the problem.

I was able to delete the botched 9.04 installation & left the 50 GB partition unallocated.

When I ran installation again, however, it expanded the XP partition & gave me tiny partitions for 9.04. I'll try to attach a screen shot of what I've got now in gparted:

What now? I don't want to screw things up worse than they are. Thanks

James
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Check out Post #11:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1244519#11

It will provide a brief explanation and then direct you to a post of how to repeat the installation, avoiding the same problem. The partitioning Step 4 has tripped up a lot of new users - hopefully it will be fixed.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!

I followed Raymond's instructions & used gparted to try to fix the problem.

I was able to delete the botched 9.04 installation & left the 50 GB partition unallocated.

When I ran installation again, however, it expanded the XP partition & gave me tiny partitions for 9.04. I'll try to attach a screen shot of what I've got now in gparted:

What now? I don't want to screw things up worse than they are. Thanks

James
    Drs' has a good guide about the 2.5GB install error.

You can elect, at this point, to work and resize what you've got or, re-do.

This is a link on a similar situation. In this thread, the OP decided to re-do and create partitions beforehand and then use the manual install option. If you decide to follow this route/thread, note that XP's disk utility will not shrink hence requiring that you use gparted, or another utility.

Post back if you need clarifications.

Good luck.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

Thanks Raymond & Drs

I guess third time is charmed. After reading through everything, I decided to delete the tiny partitions & start over. The corrupted screen still flashes once before it goes to the login screen, but it does go the the login screen, so I guess I can live with it.

Attached is a screen shot of gparted as it is set up now. Let me know if you see any problems with it. Thanks again.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast