Page 518 of 543 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519520528 ... LastLast
Results 5,171 to 5,180 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

niop, you said some time ago that you can publish new live cds with EMGD 1.10 and Linux 3.2.
    Please, can you build or explain how to do it a Precise daily with EMGD 1.10 and downgraded X.org?
    May be I have missed something but I have waited for it a lot. I can't use Pixie Live more as I don't know how to build the programs I need

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: emgd-dkms for Kernel 3.3?

Quote Originally Posted by knopper1 View Post
    Hi,

are there any patches available yet for compiling emgd-dkms 1.8 or 1.10 on Kernel 3.3?

-Klaus
    @Klaus,

At least I haven't yet...
    Because I'm waiting for the time when 3.4 future freeze had come... now linux-next's drm codes are under heavy developments, so I don't think now is the time to go...

After all, I would try for it ASAP...
    However you're welcome to commit those patches to us. In this time, I would check them out whether those could be approved or not... Since I'm now testing some patches for "cogl" on llvmpipe, Yeah seems a little bit busy for it....

Cheers,
    Tista.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Yeah I could confirm that today psb_gfx might ignore any special xorg.confs.... My P seems the same.

But one thing.
    I didn't experience such "gray-flicker" on any desktop sessions, so let me know that details.. I only have an ugly glitch of "missing mouse pointer" now. IMHO, this would cause GEM "fixed memory object" which must be kept anytime via kzalloc or so, but today this didn't work properly. Then cursor object would be wiped out from gem memory map tackled by any other memory object something like "overlay" object on compositor. So especially on time when "heavy load" comes out, the mouse pointer might be vanished..

Finally, kernel 3.4 would bring the whole new psb_gfx to us.

Cheers,
    Tista
    Hi tista,

Thanks for your reply. Ok, so I guess I have to wait for kernel 3.4.

I attached a picture of the flickering. (It was very difficult to get it on picture!) There are some stripes from the upper-left to the lower-right, that keep moving. Note that they are only in the gray part, not in the white part. I think these stripes make the the picture flicker a bit.

I have to say that I have worked with CRT monitors that flickered far worse. But it shouldn't be there...

Juerg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thermatk View Post
    niop, you said some time ago that you can publish new live cds with EMGD 1.10 and Linux 3.2.
    Please, can you build or explain how to do it a Precise daily with EMGD 1.10 and downgraded X.org?
    May be I have missed something but I have waited for it a lot. I can't use Pixie Live more as I don't know how to build the programs I need
    Hi Thermatk,

Sorry for being late on building such iso, i just find out linux mint 12 LXDE and will use it to build the new iso, so i need time to add customizations, some repo and softs, and will post it in a few days.

Meanwhile the easy way to have the 3.2 kernel is :

replace /usr/src/emgd-1.10.0.2209 with this one :
    https://rapidshare.com/files/3917768..._drm_3.2.5.tgz
    ( 2 files patched )
    BEFORE INSTALLING ANY 3.2 kernel
    then install any 3.2 kernel you want ( pateo's were fine for netbooks )
    http://pateo.wordpress.com/2012/03/1...-mint-12-lxde/
    or mine specialy optimized for EeePC 1000, 1100, 1200 series
    https://rapidshare.com/files/2299852...ustom_i386.deb
    https://rapidshare.com/files/2279088...ustom_i386.deb
    with a custom grub command line switches :
    acpi_backlight=vendor vmalloc=256MB acpi_osi=Linux resume=/dev/sda6 pcie_aspm=off pci=nomsi console=tty1 acpi_enforce_resources=lax quiet nosplash vga=792
    where resume=/dev/sdxx is your swap partition for resume purpose

hope it helps

more informations are on the 516 page
    Niop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Juerg Wullschleger View Post
    Hi tista,

Thanks for your reply. Ok, so I guess I have to wait for kernel 3.4.

I attached a picture of the flickering. (It was very difficult to get it on picture!) There are some stripes from the upper-left to the lower-right, that keep moving. Note that they are only in the gray part, not in the white part. I think these stripes make the the picture flicker a bit.

I have to say that I have worked with CRT monitors that flickered far worse. But it shouldn't be there...

Juerg
    Hi Juerg.

Thanks for taking a shot.
    Oh what a strange flickering I've never seen before...

Today I haven't a clue to solve that.
    But I have some questions for that, OK?

* Is this issue happened on every sessions? (like umm.. Unity-2D, gnome-fallback, XFce, KDE, and so)
    * Once closing the lid to make "blank screen", then after re-opened, this issue still kept remaining?

* Have you already applied any "special" configurations for grub boot parameters?

Have a nice day,
    Tista

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

FWIW:

I took both Fedora 17 and Ubuntu 12.04 , both in Beta, for a test spin the last 2 days.

My gma500 works at native resolution out of the box with both distros, although you need to restart X

Fedora - Ctrl-alt-backspace

Ubuntu - ctrl-alt-F2 , log in, sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

Gnome-shell (fedora 17) is looking great, speed has much improved.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I have a Dell Mini 12.
    I have installed Xubuntu 12.04 and after making the necessary changes to /etc/default/grub I have it running well at native 1280X800 resolution with the psb_gfx driver.
    I don't think you have to blacklist poulsbo any more but the vt handoff issue hasn't been fixed as yet so you still need the "console=tty1" command in the grub options replacing "quiet splash".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by raymac46 View Post
    I have a Dell Mini 12.
    I have installed Xubuntu 12.04 and after making the necessary changes to /etc/default/grub I have it running well at native 1280X800 resolution with the psb_gfx driver.
    I don't think you have to blacklist poulsbo any more but the vt handoff issue hasn't been fixed as yet so you still need the "console=tty1" command in the grub options replacing "quiet splash".
    Exactly, the poulsbo module is not longer built by default, so you no longer need to blacklist it.

But, the vt handoff issue persists =(

I also use 'console=tty1'
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Hi Juerg.

Thanks for taking a shot.
    Oh what a strange flickering I've never seen before...

Today I haven't a clue to solve that.
    But I have some questions for that, OK?

* Is this issue happened on every sessions? (like umm.. Unity-2D, gnome-fallback, XFce, KDE, and so)
    * Once closing the lid to make "blank screen", then after re-opened, this issue still kept remaining?

* Have you already applied any "special" configurations for grub boot parameters?

Have a nice day,
    Tista
    Hi Tista,

Here the answers to your questions:

* I have tried Unity, Unity-2D and XFce. They all flicker. Also the login-screen flickers the same way.
    * Suspend does not work.

* No, I don't use any special configuration.

I have now taken a better picture that might be a bit more helpful. On the left, there are only black pixels below on the screen, and you can see these stripes. (Since they move, the colors are almost invisible.) On the right side, there are only white pixels below on the screen, and the stripes almost disappear. But there, the whole area flickers.

Yes, it's strange.

Juerg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Question Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Dear Ubuntu community,

I am not sure where I can post this, in fact I am not sure if I am allowed to post this; however, I have a pretty difficult situation on my hands as of now.

I will receive a Nokia booklet tomorrow- GMA 500 chipset as you know.

I am in medical school and I need this laptop to work so I can use it for school. I do not have much experience with coding but I am able to follow direction precisely.

I am completely overwhelmed with all the information and intelligence exchanged on these forums regarding how to make modifications in order to have a functional machine.

Which Ubuntu version will give me the most stable performance? What do I need to do in order to ensure that I do not destroy my laptop. I am not a gamer, I just need my machine to work transparently.

PLEASE HELP. And please excuse me if I violated any forum etiquette. Thank you all in advance.

Kidcomm

Page 518 of 543 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519520528 ... LastLast