Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: You can't use GPL soft and Linux in the near future! Please read!

Beans

Re: You can't use GPL soft and Linux in the near future! Please read!

Why didn't you just add this to the thread you made earlier ?

Beans

Here are some more bitter facts.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    It's not all FUD; TC has more nasty stuff in it than the fact that it will somehow undermine the GPL, it's a whole new ownership paradigm. Actually as I like to put it, for the user it's a paradigm for lack thereof.

The fact that we see a "Computer" icon instead of "My Computer" in those Vista preview screenshots says something.
    yeah the TC stuff itself isnt FUD, but this thread is. saying "you cant use GPL software and linux in the near future" is completely FUD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by briancurtin
    yeah the TC stuff itself isnt FUD, but this thread is. saying "you cant use GPL software and linux in the near future" is completely FUD
    That was what I was calling FUD. Even you 23meg stated so much in the previous thread you posted. I agree with you that Linux will not be locked in to TPM and DRM. I see two worlds existing side by side. The first one is the propietary TPM/DRM world that everything you do on a computer has to be approved by the companies/parties that support TPM. The second will be the GNU/Opensource world that will give people the choice of utilizing TPM if they wish to use propietary software but they can disable it and just stick with GNU/OSS software. You are going to see new media being created without DRM because the artist are opposed to the erosion of peoples rights. You will also see a huge shift in the number of people dropping Windows, Mac and other propietary software because they do not want their privacy invaded or their rights dimminished.

What is funny is TPM and DRM are being created to stop piracy yet it will lead to more piracy. People will crack the code and alter all sorts of software and media to play on anything. When this happens many people who were opposed to piracy because it was stealing will resort to it not because they want the software/media for free but because they resent the restrictions the propietary versions are placing on them. Ultimately this scheme will fail as the Sony root-kit fiasco has.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm sorry guys, but this is OLD news. Things have happened since 2003 that mean essentially TCPA will never take off. HP/Compaq have pulled out for a start. There WILL still be attempts to introduce it, but AMD will not go along with it. So they are now attempting to create a walled garden within the net using IPv6, so there will be a 'good, trusted' net which you will ONLY get access to by paying EVERY step of the way, and using MS as your platform.
    Trust me there is a war on.
    On one side we have nvidia, Linux, HP, AMD, IBM et al, and on the other side we have ATI, Intel, Microsoft, Dell et al.
    Recently, there has been a huge push for open standards, rather than trusted computing. Even Bill gates said last year(2005), that in 10 years he sees only two platforms: Linux and MS. MS are even contributing towards Open Source, as they see it as the definitive future of the net. Also, remember there are too many of us hackers and reverse engineers out there. I have been an active part of the software hacking community for years. And, TCPA is already accounted for in the linux kernel code.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

As Bonzodog says, so you guys can just relaxe. No need to bring panic.

arnieboy Guest

just a minor correction:
    Intel is on Linux's side.

Beans

If worst comes to worse, a smart hardware manufacturer could start make
    non-TC hardware and get the whole linux clientel...
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bonzodog
    On one side we have nvidia, Linux, HP, AMD, IBM et al, and on the other side we have ATI, Intel, Microsoft, Dell et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy
    just a minor correction:
    Intel is on Linux's side.
    https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/about/members/
    Previously known as 23meg

arnieboy Guest

thats interesting because till recently, Intel had gotten quite frustrated with Microsoft and thats how most Intel video cards have 3D acceleration by default on linux kernels.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast