Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is single-booting Ubuntu a good idea?

Beans
    Hidden!

Is single-booting Ubuntu a good idea?

Hi everyone,

I am considering installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my MacBook 4,1, but I am not sure if I should set it up as a single-boot or dual-boot. I have read that it is a good idea to at least keep OS X installed on a small partition for MacBook firmware updates. What is the best thing to do? Have any of you run into an major problems running Ubuntu on your Macs?

I am thinking of doing this because I am beginning to feel bored with OS X, and I think that Linux would be a good change. OS X also doesn't seem to have shipped with any scanning software, but my printer is supported under XSane. The ability to scan documents would be wonderful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is single-booting Ubuntu a good idea?

I would strongly recommend that you keep OSX on there. Always best. At least until you know that you won't have problems with Ubuntu. Could be hardware issue's etc. IM not sure how extreme this is, i've never put linux on a mac b4 though so
    http://sekuritysuks.wordpress.com

~$ sudo apt-get meabeer
    E: Invalid operation meabeer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ubuntu is great, But if you arent pretty familiar with it...dont completely burn your bridges. it can be difficult and requires some learning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have one machine that is only Ubuntu and it is fine. It had a very fouled up windows os on it when I bought it for about $25 american. On my Mac I have both and would not delete the mac os even though I don't use it. I would never delete a paid for os. You never know when you might need something that that os can do easier than the one you are using.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I recomend keeping an os x partition. Mainly because it greatly reduces boot time. Firmware updates are important too.

As far as ubuntu on a mac, I very happy with it on my macbook 2,1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aufan19 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am considering installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my MacBook 4,1, but I am not sure if I should set it up as a single-boot or dual-boot. I have read that it is a good idea to at least keep OS X installed on a small partition for MacBook firmware updates. What is the best thing to do? Have any of you run into an major problems running Ubuntu on your Macs?

I am thinking of doing this because I am beginning to feel bored with OS X, and I think that Linux would be a good change. OS X also doesn't seem to have shipped with any scanning software, but my printer is supported under XSane. The ability to scan documents would be wonderful.
    Image Capture can use a scanner as source.

You can also get Xsane in OSX through Darwinports:
    http://xsane.darwinports.com/

Kye, like the logo... that is a good one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mac OS can boot very happily from an external (such as usb) hard drive. So, if you have an extra USB hard drive or possibly even a flash drive (though I've never tried that). So if you wanted you could move your Mac OS setup over there. If you use the Disk Utility from the install disc, you can move your current setup over to the external drive without losing data provided your external drive is large enough - be sure to test it for speed

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the replies everyone!! I've decided to test Ubuntu in VirtualBox instead so that I can become more familiar with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by aufan19 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone!! I've decided to test Ubuntu in VirtualBox instead so that I can become more familiar with it.
    Cool, just know that the disk io will be a lot slower and you won't be able to see much eye candy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The only way to properly learn... a single boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast