Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gapless playback in Ubuntu?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Gapless playback in Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Not really, in that it will not serve music to a remote player.
    True, but if you let mpd stream to an icecast2 server, you can listen to your music with any remote player that can handle shoutcast To control your music you can easily use mpd over ssh...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gapless playback in Ubuntu?

Yes, if you let ... I just wanted to clarify that in its own, mpd is not a music server.

You can control mpd with an ssh prompt, but you can also control it with any mpd client over the network, for which it is designed.

Beans

What is the current state here?

Quod Libet has gapless playback for flac and ogg now (the version in Karmic?) but is still missing support for lame info tag MP3s?

And Audacious has support for gapless lame files?
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans

Amarok 1.4.0+ and Exaile 0.3.0+, XMMS2 and Jajuk are meant to support gapless playback as well. But I'm not sure if thats ogg/flac only, or mp3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Options are still very limited for gapless playback of mp3 (properly ripped and lame encoded). mp3 might still constitute the majority of your collection because it is the only format supported by any digital audio player.

The only true gapless playback option for lame that I know is music player daemon (mpd). It is what I use. mpd is a "server" and you control it with a client of choice, command line (mpc), norton commander like (ncmpc), full fledged graphical (sonata, gmpc, ...), or through a web interface in your browser. Only drawback: somewhat more difficult to set up.
    True. Pity that there is less ogg and flac support for protable devices, or the other OSes stupid media players (iTunes, WMP). While I dont like the lack of support from Apple and Microsoft, its understandable, they are pushing thier own 'audio solutions'- WMA and M4A/AAC vs Ogg Vorbis, and WMA-'lossless' and ALAC vs Flac.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by amano View Post
    What is the current state here?

Quod Libet has gapless playback for flac and ogg now (the version in Karmic?) but is still missing support for lame info tag MP3s?
    Actually not yet. Quod Libet devs merged the gapless patches into the main branch recently, but no release including gapless has been made yet. On the upside you can look forward to perfect gapless for all formats, including LAME header based, once this release is made. I can offer to upload a package to a PPA once it is out. It already works well here, but I run from a development snapshot.

Beans

thanks hugmenot

From what my testing today showed:

NOT:
    - Exaile 0.3 from the Karmic repos is NOT gapless for my flac files. Is it for anyone? I switched to the unified plugin, turned on the crossfader and set the crossfading time to zero.
    -Banshee will be gapless, once this branch is merged: http://gitorious.com/~raof/banshee/gapless-work There doesn't seem to be too much activity in there though...
    - Audacious wasn't gapless for me by default. I wanted to turn the crossfader plugin on, but that isn't shipped by default? It is even not in the Karmic repos?

WORKING: Rhythmbox is gapless, though not for MP3. I hope that will be tackled soon.

FUTURE: While the current Quod Libet doesn't offer any gapless currently, it seems to be our best bet to do so soon (if hugmenot is hopefully right).

NOT tested: Aqualung is probably gapless but overall it is a PITA usability wise.

Any comments?
    Last edited by amano; November 8th, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans

Experimental support for gapless (must be enabled in prefs)
    http://www.exaile.org/

I'm not sure where you turn on gapless, and being experimental it might not work. I thought I had seen a post on hydrogen audio saying that someone had got gapless going fine with exaile 0.3.0, but I could be wrong.

I really hope that the exaile devs dont think that crossfading = gapless.....

I would test it myself, but I'm using foobar2000 as my main audio player, and besides that...I only have exaile 0.2.11 (guess what distro that is LMAO)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amano View Post

FUTURE: While the current Quod Libet doesn't offer any gapless currently, it seems to be our best bet to do so soon (if hugmenot is hopefully right).
    You can use my PPA: https://launchpad.net/~lazka/+archive/dumpingplace/

Beans

On Exaile, Unified with crossfade disabled is gapless, with crossfade enabled is NOT. There's just no toggle explicitly saying its gapless because it's inherent in the Unified engine.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans

From what I can tell the latest Audacious 2.3 should support gapless MP3 support (even with the default input and output plugins).

At least my own test files seem to work. I am hunting down a few of really demanding samples to test it out, but the files from the hydrogenaudio wiki seem to have vanished.

EDIT: I traced down the files in the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...e_of_right.zip Those are wavepack files and are completely gapless with rhytmbox and audacious. I have to transcode them to mp3 files to check if the decoder can handle the lame information in the lame info tag.
    Last edited by amano; July 30th, 2010 at 12:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast