Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arora browser - Firefox clone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arora browser - Firefox clone

i found this browser and i can say it is 100% firefox but faster and passes 100/100 Acid3 test, i tested 21.02.2009 release and it was very fast (faster than ff3).

Test yourself:
    http://www.arora-browser.org/
    tox.chat, reactos.org

Beans

Re: Arora browser - Firefox clone

If it was 100% Firefox, it would be Firefox.

By "clone" did you mean derivative?

And is it still using the Gecko engine, or WebKit engine?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Arora uses webkit AFAIK

Beans

This browser looks like a pretty decent project. A slim'd down version of Firefox written in QT 4 does sound like a great idea -- and with GTK support in QT 4.4 it won't look butt ugly either. Plus webkit beats gecko any day of the week. I've been looking for a decent extend-able browser that works integrates good with Gnome and uses webkit.

I thought that Epiphany was going to start using webkit as of 2.24, guess they delayed that to 2.26.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan Devyn Aodfin View Post
    This browser looks like a pretty decent project. A slim'd down version of Firefox written in QT 4 does sound like a great idea -- and with GTK support in QT 4.4 it won't look butt ugly either. Plus webkit beats gecko any day of the week. I've been looking for a decent extend-able browser that works integrates good with Gnome and uses webkit.

I thought that Epiphany was going to start using webkit as of 2.24, guess they delayed that to 2.26.
    OMG!!!111?!1 A web browser based on QT and using Webkit, everyone start embracing this now, now I tell you, this exactly what I need, I am sick of Firefox on KDE 4.2.

lol, this is serious.

Beans

Any way to get a 64-bit deb or do I have to compile? Running the deb even with 32-bit libs installed still gives wrong architecture.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkon View Post
    OMG!!!111?!1 A web browser based on QT and using Webkit, everyone start embracing this now, now I tell you, this exactly what I need, I am sick of Firefox on KDE 4.2.

lol, this is serious.
    I'd rather use something written in pure GTK+ but now that QT 4.x has a method to integrate into Gnome, i consider it a viable solution. Anyways, QT4 is actually quite speedy, even more-so that GTK. Just don't expect to see a speed improvement when using the GTK theme engine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How is Arora like Firefox? Is uses the Webkit engine, whereas Firefox uses Gecko; it's written in QT, whereas Firefox is GTK...seriously, how are they alike?
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    How is Arora like Firefox? Is uses the Webkit engine, whereas Firefox uses Gecko; it's written in QT, whereas Firefox is GTK...seriously, how are they alike?
    The GUI, it looks exactly the same as Firefox.

Beans

Firefox is not written in GTK+. It's rendering engine "Gecko" provides the interface and Gecko uses GTK to display the widgets. In fact if you look real carefully at some of the widgets in Firefox and Thunderbird, you will notice that they do not theme totally consistent with the GTK+ theme.

The Mozilla team could just as easily create a "port" of Gecko that uses QT4 or even FLTK for the theming but they don't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast