Thread: Suspend and the sky2 module

Beans

Suspend and the sky2 module

For a long time I experienced flaky suspend issues in Ubuntu on my MBP. Occasionally, suspend would hang. This seemed especially likely to happen if I suspended & resumed several times in succession with no intervening boot. After completing most of the suspend process, I would be left with a blank screen with blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner, with no keyboard. Had to force power off by holding the power button.

Then I switched to connecting via ethernet, and this issue immediately became 100 times worse. I eventually discovered that if I physically unplugged the ethernet cable prior to suspend, it would suspend just fine.

All of this confused me for quite a while, and I mistakenly suspected wicd as the culprit, and filed a bug report. It was suggested there to try unloading the sky2 module (which controls the NIC) on suspend. When I did that, all my issues with suspend immediately went away! I have now suspended/resumed successfully more than 20 times without a single failure.

So, it appears that there is an issue with sky2 which sometimes interferes with (kernel) suspend. I'm not sure which models might be affected. Is anyone else having a similar issue? To check if your Ubuntu uses sky2 do
    Code:
    lsmod | grep sky2
    in a terminal. To unload the module on suspend, edit the file /etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module (using sudo or as root) and add the line
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="sky2"
    to the end of the file, and save changes.

Please report in this thread if you also have this problem, and list your model number and Ubuntu distribution.
    Last edited by hyperboloid; February 4th, 2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: fix typo
    Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Suspend and the sky2 module

All Intel iMacs and Macbook / Macbook Pros should have this ethernet hardware. Not sure about minis and Mac Pros
    Last edited by cyberdork33; February 5th, 2009 at 04:18 AM.

I'm on a rev 3 MBP Ubuntu 8.10, and this didn't work for me. It seems like my laptop suspends fine, but the problem is waking up. When I try to resume, I can hear the hard drive, but I get no response from the screen or keyboard (no caps or num lock LED). I have to hold the power button to shut it down.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by souled View Post
    I'm on a rev 3 MBP Ubuntu 8.10, and this didn't work for me. It seems like my laptop suspends fine, but the problem is waking up. When I try to resume, I can hear the hard drive, but I get no response from the screen or keyboard (no caps or num lock LED). I have to hold the power button to shut it down.
    Looks like this bug report might be relevant? You could try setting
    Code:
    gconftool --set /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/sync_to_vblank 0 --type bool
    as suggested there. Dunno if this applies to 8.10 though.
    Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have this problem as well on Lucid. There is no /etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module file anymore. As I understand I'm putting the notification in /etc/defaults/acpi-support.

My problem is mainly that after suspend LAN doesn't function at all anymore and only reboot helps. I tried unloading + loading the module, restarting nm-applet. Hope this helps.