Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I disable auto login running ubuntu unr

Beans

How do I disable auto login running ubuntu unr

just installed notebook remix on an hp mini. works great right out of the box. My only problem is the it logs me in with out a password entry. don't have any idea where to go as the system> administration > login window does not exist in this version. thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mrkwrnch; December 28th, 2008 at 02:25 AM.

Beans

Re: How do I disable auto login running ubuntu unr

In the menu "System | Administration | Login window"

in the "Security" tab.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Go to System/Control Center

It´s there under System

You´ll also find the Synaptic Package Manager there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have just enabled auto login in Jaunty - and the GUI has disapperared - just a black screen with a pointer. Lucky I have a laptop as well.

How do I disable the auto login from the terminal?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Frodgey View Post
    I have just enabled auto login in Jaunty - and the GUI has disapperared - just a black screen with a pointer. Lucky I have a laptop as well.

Thanks in advance.
    I have the same question.

I'm running Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 desktop on my laptop. I have the home folder set up as encrypted and so it needs the password when I login. I was doing something earlier (can't even remember what now) and in a pop up, was offered the option to "auto login" - I forgot I needed to login to unencrypt my home folder. A few hours later I restarted the laptop and now I get errors at start up. How can I stop the auto login option through the terminal?
    "We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves." Tenzin Gyatso

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frodgey View Post

Thanks in advance.
    if you can use terminal perhaps try using "startx" and following the above advice.
    EeePC 1000HE Xubuntu 10.04
    Thinkpad R61 14" Gentoo
    iMac G5 Xubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mtn View Post
    I have the same question.

I'm running Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 desktop on my laptop. I have the home folder set up as encrypted and so it needs the password when I login. I was doing something earlier (can't even remember what now) and in a pop up, was offered the option to "auto login" - I forgot I needed to login to unencrypt my home folder. A few hours later I restarted the laptop and now I get errors at start up. How can I stop the auto login option through the terminal?
    I fixed my problem. Bit of a convoluted way to do things, but it worked...

After booting up the laptop, it booted to a "blank" desktop - i.e. just the background image, and threw up errors. However, pressing the hardware on/off switch on the laptop brought up options to "shutdown, restart, hibernated or suspend". I chose hibernate. After it went in to hibernate, I turned the machine off, and then on again with the hardware button, it resumed from hibernation asking for my user password, and offering a number of other options "leave message, switch user" etc. I chose "switch user" and logged in a guest user (which I think I must have set up during install). Logging in as guest got me in to a working desktop and from here I disabled "auto login" - everything is back to normal now.

Btw, i tried everything I could thing of to get a working terminal - booting in to rescue mode ect but could not get a working terminal fro one reason or another. The solution above was a last desperate attempt - before reinstalling
    "We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves." Tenzin Gyatso

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I hope I can still be of help to some people (that have encrypted folder and activated auto login). These are the steps that I followed to fix the problem:

1) logged in
    2) startx
    3) sudo gedit /etc/gdm/custom.conf
    4) changed AutomaticLoginEnable to false

Fixes your problem...

Beans

What I did was,

1. when the blank screen appears, ctrl+alt+F1
    2. log in
    3. sudo vi /etc/gdm/custom.conf
    4. changed AutomaticLoginEnable to false (you'll have to press 'i' for insert)
    5. save (Esc -> :wq)
    6. sudo reboot

You'll see login screen now!

Beans

Awesome. Thanks for pointing me to the custom.conf file. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast