Thread: Upgrade gone wrong 18.04 to 20.04...

Beans

Upgrade gone wrong 18.04 to 20.04...

Hey All

Hopefully someone can help, I have a home server running Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop which has my plex server installed on it.

I tried to update it to 20.04 as I was sick of the prompt and since then I've been having issues with it. At first it restarted and put me back to the login page, so when I logged in it would just freeze and wouldn't go to my desktop.

I then entered the terminal and used commands to reinstall desktop and Unity I think, found it on a forum and since then it's doing the following.

https://youtu.be/d6MrpepAsmU

It's strange because when it gets to the end screen I can access my plex library so it is loading things I just can't do anything, type anything or see the gui it's just stuck at a black screen with a white text marker at the top.

I'd rather not have to reinstall ubuntu from scratch it took me ages to configure it how I wanted and as I'm just a novice it'll take me ages again!

Any help would be most appreciated!

Beans

Re: Upgrade gone wrong 18.04 to 20.04...

Is the Plex server just a plex server or does it also play the media on its own system using the Plex UI?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Is the Plex server just a plex server or does it also play the media on its own system using the Plex UI?
    It's just a Plex server. I can't get to the UI of it anymore but when accessing Plex from my phone it's working fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

May I ask a question? During the upgrade process did it ask you to confirm the removal of obsolete packages. That is what I got and as I had Unity installed and was using LightDM as the display manager that controls the log in screen I also ended up with a black screen on reboot.

For myself I reinstalled LighDM and was asked to configure it. I also had GDM (Gnome Display Manager) installed so I choose to load with GDM and not LightDM and I got a desktop top that way.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    May I ask a question? During the upgrade process did it ask you to confirm the removal of obsolete packages. That is what I got and as I had Unity installed and was using LightDM as the display manager that controls the log in screen I also ended up with a black screen on reboot.

For myself I reinstalled LighDM and was asked to configure it. I also had GDM (Gnome Display Manager) installed so I choose to load with GDM and not LightDM and I got a desktop top that way.

Regards.
    Yes it did, it removed a bunch of obsolete packages and then continued.

How would I go about reinstalling lightdm and getting it to boot using gdm? I can't access the terminal via ctrl + alt + f2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try CTRL+ALT+F3