Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enjoying Fedora 18

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Enjoying Fedora 18

Hello All,

If there is interest in trying out F18, I offer a couple of tips

The Live image does not allow you to set host name at install, so you will need to use this command after install:
    hostnamectl set-hostname newhost.newdomain --static

The Full DVD image or Network Install image allows you to set host name.

The new anaconda is set up as a hub and spoke approach for install, more info here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/NewInstaller

After install, F18 is smooth and stable
    Last edited by BBQdave; January 21st, 2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: clean up post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Enjoying Fedora 18

A follow up recommendation:

The Live media needs a DVD size burn, so if you do not need the Live experience and wish to do a direct install, I would go with the DVD install media.

The Fedora 18 Net and DVD install media give you more choices, and is the full - complete New Anaconda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hmmm I've been visiting the fedora site but cannot bring myself to hit download. Still using it? Like it better than Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have occasional forays into Fedora and I like it. In fact, after upgrading my laptop from 12.04 to 12.10 last night and having intermittent boot problems, it might be time for a few months of Fedora on the laptop again.

Good things about Fedora are that things are nicely up to date and it feels quite clean and lightweight in comparison to Ubuntu. I get on OK with Gnome shell. Fedora is easy to install and set-up, perhaps a little more awkward than Ubuntu for certain things but not an order of magnitude more difficult. It's not the "expert" distribution that some people would have you believe.

Because it has a stronger FOSS policy, you need to tap into a third party repository for non-free stuff. I also find the font rendering poor (but it can be changed to match Ubuntu). Package management is not really that much different, although the lack of an equivalent of "apt-get autoremove" feels like an omission. It doesn't seem to bother long-term Fedora users.

Fedora forums are OK, not as busy as the Ubuntu forums. They don't have an equivalent of the Ubuntu code of conduct so there's a bit of Canonical and Microsoft bashing that goes on. The moderators can also be a bit heavy handed IMO -- but maybe I was just unlucky to see a whole bunch of people get banned in the few days after I joined.

I tend to come back to Ubuntu eventually. You should give it a try, maybe in a VM first or as a dual boot or on a second machine.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been considering fedora 18, not sure now after reading the previous post, also on
    the consideration list, Manjaro,Cinnarch and Linux Mint 14.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    I have occasional forays into Fedora and I like it. In fact, after upgrading my laptop from 12.04 to 12.10 last night and having intermittent boot problems, it might be time for a few months of Fedora on the laptop again.

Good things about Fedora are that things are nicely up to date and it feels quite clean and lightweight in comparison to Ubuntu. I get on OK with Gnome shell. Fedora is easy to install and set-up, perhaps a little more awkward than Ubuntu for certain things but not an order of magnitude more difficult. It's not the "expert" distribution that some people would have you believe.

Because it has a stronger FOSS policy, you need to tap into a third party repository for non-free stuff. I also find the font rendering poor (but it can be changed to match Ubuntu). Package management is not really that much different, although the lack of an equivalent of "apt-get autoremove" feels like an omission. It doesn't seem to bother long-term Fedora users.

Fedora forums are OK, not as busy as the Ubuntu forums. They don't have an equivalent of the Ubuntu code of conduct so there's a bit of Canonical and Microsoft bashing that goes on. The moderators can also be a bit heavy handed IMO -- but maybe I was just unlucky to see a whole bunch of people get banned in the few days after I joined.

I tend to come back to Ubuntu eventually. You should give it a try, maybe in a VM first or as a dual boot or on a second machine.
    yeah I remember trying Fedora 9? I think. The Fedora forums were very dry. The forums here seem to be a lot better. People who generally just love the operating system and not wanting to flame you for questions. I tend to visit daily. Had my old account closed this last week so that is why I have a join date of 2013 and only 15 posts lol. I've been a member here since 2006

Beans
    Hidden!

I do have a question about fedora, being it is a rolling release, will it work straightaway
    or is it like sabayon where you have to download all the updates first?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fedora 18 isn't a rolling release, it's the successor to Fedora 17. It will have outstanding updates if you install from a live image but it works without these.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    Fedora 18 isn't a rolling release, it's the successor to Fedora 17. It will have outstanding updates if you install from a live image but it works without these.
    Thank you, just returned from the public library, couldn't find
    where to download fedora, is it a free download? Appreciate a link. Couldn't download cinnarch or mint, so downloaded Lubuntu
    and Manjaro. Using Lubuntu at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Information and downloads from the Fedora Project pages:

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

Or, if you want to be nice to their servers:

http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
    Last edited by r-senior; January 28th, 2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added torrent page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast