Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

@bulldog

40_custom in /etc/burg.d/40_custom:

#!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry 'Natty 11.04 (sda1)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --group gro
    up_main {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash nomce vt.handoff=7
    initrd /initrd.img
    }

This works for burg or grub and boots the latest kernel, whatever @vmlinuz points to in the root dir
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

TY,cecil,but I stick with GRUB.
    Burg is nice and all,but the few seconds I see the menu isn't worth the effort,at least not for me anyway.

Most of the time I put my computer in suspend mode and the few times I reboot,I get myself a cup of coffee during boot time so when I come back it displays the GDM screen.
    Btw the 3.x GDM works like a charm for my computer,maybe the automated login doesn't work [I really don't know of it works or not] but I don't use that option so no problems here.
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    TY,cecil,but I stick with GRUB.
    Burg is nice and all,but the few seconds I see the menu isn't worth the effort,at least not for me anyway.

Most of the time I put my computer in suspend mode and the few times I reboot,I get myself a cup of coffee during boot time so when I come back it displays the GDM screen.
    Btw the 3.x GDM works like a charm for my computer,maybe the automated login doesn't work [I really don't know of it works or not] but I don't use that option so no problems here.
    Good to see you pop in. Glad everything is uneventful. Auto login does work now with gdm3, but it would appear the application that let me turn it on is now missing (Login Screen). Oh well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Good to see you pop in. Glad everything is uneventful. Auto login does work now with gdm3, but it would appear the application that let me turn it on is now missing (Login Screen). Oh well.
    You have no user account in system settings anymore?
    I have seen the option to put it on or off over there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro

You have no user account in system settings anymore?
    I have seen the option to put it on or off over there.
    I have the user account in system settings but my autologin was a holdover from gdm 2.32 and that was toggled with 'Login Screen', like it was with Gnome 2. I just noticed that it no longer exists, not sure when that happened.

Beans

@Rasa1111
    This isnt a big deal really,
    But does anyone know how to change the fugly login window/screen to something more pleasant than the old 'grey and blue' 'clearlooks' theme, or whatever it's called?
    [or is that not 'possible' yet?]
    I use kdm login manager ..... which is a nicer login screen ..... and is very customizable ...... lookup the steampunk login for kdm ...... its a animated one and looks pretty impressive ...... if you like that sort of a thing.

I am similar to Bulldog though ..... most of the time the login screen and boot screen do not bother me .....
    too much as I too rarely watch them ,so as long as everything works ..... and can be updated upgraded without fear of ( not being able login or get to my desktop because of something daft like a screen resolution or a theme is not picking up properly ) then alls fine with the standard setups.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 26th, 2011 at 07:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I was on gNatty v2, 32-bit. And I saw that a "partial distribution upgrade" was possible via the update manager. I know those things are dangerous, but I thought I would just try it. The upgrade installed fine, GS still loads. But it doesn't connect to any network (not wireless or wired). I just get a message that my device isn't supported on this "version". I don't know if they mean Ubuntu version or Gnome version, but it's shown with such an "Ooops" Gnome Face.

As a result, I don't know if it's the fault of Ubuntu (a problem with Oneiric maybe) or the fault of Gnome.

I'm now on a Mint 11 installation that I had still installed (always good to have a backup OS ).

Did anyone else see those problems? Or something like it?

Beans

As a result, I don't know if it's the fault of Ubuntu (a problem with Oneiric maybe) or the fault of Gnome.
    Oneiric is way too unstable at this moment in time for Gnome-Shell ...... too many risks if you are trying to
    run a reasonably stable system ......

I usually wait till later on nearer the end of development phase to start testing changes out ...... but did have a go
    right at the start of this one .... and was quite surprised how well it was going for the first few weeks ......

Then I lost .... desktop startup application launchers .... then cairo-dock .... then transparency ..... but read about problems with the network manager .... so never went there ..... think what killed it for me was having to run it
    from another desktop to get it anything like stable .....

used LXDE .... then did gnome-shell --replace

Which kept it going quite a bit longer ..... cannot remember exactly what killed it off for me ......

But in the end I went back to 11.04 ..... then added the Oneiric repositories and use aptitude safe-upgrade to
    keep updating ....... ( not sure this is what the developers would advise ,,,,, but I have done it this way right from using kanotix .... and upgraded through a few Ubuntu releases too ..... this you obviously do at your own risk though as there could be all sorts of problems ...... but the dependencies are pretty good at throwing out bogus things nowadays .... at the moment mine is running the best its ever run ...... )

If it was a mechanical device it would be similar to Heath Robinsons designs .....

Mixing and matching Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 may not be the greatest idea ..... but if they stick to the same calls in programs and naming conventions .... then hopefully it will run ok as it is doing ..... as I say this at the moment is the best mine has ever run and so fast too .... temps are lower with the 3.0.0-6 kernel and the later graphics driver too .....

Just removed ubuntuone again as I do not use it and why it keeps trying to sync when I do not use it I do not know ,,,,,,
    its history now though ,,,,, removed any packages to do with it rebooted ,,,,

All is much better now and the fan as calmed itself .... and is also faster to boot in ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 26th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Is there anyone who have experience with a 'rolling' distro?

I'm curious if it's possible to run one with the gnome-shell.

If anyone has a good advice on this matter or can point to a distro which could be used,I would apreciate it.
    [have some idea's,but would like to hear some confirmation]

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro

Is there anyone who have experience with a 'rolling' distro?

I'm curious if it's possible to run one with the gnome-shell.

If anyone has a good advice on this matter or can point to a distro which could be used,I would apreciate it.
    [have some idea's,but would like to hear some confirmation]
    I've got LMDE & AptoSid running gnome-shell, but both currently in fallback mode because something is currently broken in the Debian 64-bit repos.

So, it is possible, but the timing isn't good right now, at least not for the 64-bit. The guys running the 32-bit version were back in business within a couple days, so they say.

If you want to occupy your time with it this is a pretty good link
    How to install GNOME 3 on Debian testing aka wheezy

Aptosid shows promise (I used the Xfce spin), but I think it's easiest on LMDE.

So, what are your ideas?
    Last edited by cbowman57; July 26th, 2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: So, what are your ideas?

Page 150 of 177 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast