Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a Linux distro....

Beans

Re: Creating a Linux distro....

and how are you going to create this distro.. through remastersys ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    OK more info about the distro:

-It is based on Ubuntu 8.10
    -It has Thunderbord instead of Evolution
    -It has aMSN with plugins and themes included replaced with Pidgin
    -I am going to use Mint Menu or something similar
    -It includes more games like Urban Terror
    -OpenOffice-org 3
    -Abiword
    -VLC Media player
    -Gstreamer flash and Java by default
    -A theme using the Aurora GTK engine
    -Giver (a LAN fileshare program)
    -More wallpapers, more themes, more GDM themes, more bootslpashes
    -Filezilla
    -Amarok 2.0 (not yet sure)
    -Gnome Do
    -Uses Crystal Icons by default
    -Has a login slpash
    -More Linux Mint like
    -Checkinstall
    -Alien
    -More GTK engines
    -Compiz and Envy
    -And other things will be removed/added/enhanced by request of the people in the world

I am focusing on making a stable and reliable system that should fit for everyone. It will be easy to use and easy to customise. We will try to develop solutions so you can avoid using the terminal as much as possible, and find solutions to common issues found in the Ubuntu forums. We do also have a wish to have a graphical terminal emulator.

The system will be available with USB and maybe with DVD
    Ideas from YOU will help improve this new distro.
    It will only be available as x86 edition, x86_64 may come later
    I will maybe make the distro on KDE after KDE 4.2 comes out.

I do also need a name for the distro, I have just been calling in TuxOS, but the distro will not actually have something with tuxes to do so a name for the distro would be nice to have....you guys decide!
    What you've just described is an installation, not a distribution. Who's going to host the reporsitory? Where is the bug-tracking, project-management going to be held? Where's the funding going to come from?

That's some of the logistics, but what about the theory behind it? The big question is WHY? Why are you making another distribution? What is the goal and motivation behind it? Just because you want to make one or because you see a real need for one? What is the overall philosophy behind it? Who is it for?

I think it's good of you to want to put effort into the Linux community but I think it's going to be wasted effort. I personally think it be be better for us all (you included) if you found a distribution and made a great deal of contribution towards it. That way you gain experience and more clarity about what you want in your own distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well there we are again....I have not made anything yet, I would like to know what people would like if I am going to make a new Linux distro. Hmmmm......I am marking this thread as solved because of a whole lot of misunderstandings...(iit was my fault i guess)

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Creating a Linux distro....

The only fault is a lack of direction. Whenever anyone tells you not to make a distro, ignore them! Im a firm believer of Linux being about choice. If you want to make a distro, go for it! Just try to have some direction with it

With 400 odd Linux distros out there, theres a lot of different directions distros can take. Choose what path you want, have a look into what you want, then go for it. If its an epic failiure, so be it, but you might just learn something. That something make become an idea for a next distro, and you might make something fantastic.

With that said, re reading your edited post (ya didnt have that before ) i noticed a line.

We will try to develop solutions so you can avoid using the terminal as much as possible
    So you want a real GUI based distro? That right there could be your path. I loved the Mint XFCE menus. Merlwiz made a fantastic GUI for all the XFCE and Linux settings in one panel and i thought it was great. Well, maybe your path could be a GUI based Ubuntu distro. That could be your niche. Think about it, talk to your friend, make a plan, then come back with it and say 'guys what do you think?'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What you've just described is an installation, not a distribution.
    Doesn't Ubuntu Studio count as a separate distro? And I thought Mint could use Ubuntu reps?
    Don't work for my happiness, my brothers--show me yours--show me that it is possible--show me your achievement--and the knowledge will give me courage for mine.-- Ayn Rand

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WaeV View Post
    Doesn't Ubuntu Studio count as a separate distro? And I thought Mint could use Ubuntu reps?
    I personally don't count either of those as distros, because they completely depend on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I see.
    Don't work for my happiness, my brothers--show me yours--show me that it is possible--show me your achievement--and the knowledge will give me courage for mine.-- Ayn Rand

Beans
    Distro

Hey, what would Ubuntu be without Debian?
    What would Linux Mint be without Ubuntu or Debian?
    What would PCLinuxOS be without Mandriva?
    What would Mandriva be without Red Hat?
    ...and so on....
    May I ask...Do I have a point here?

However...within a month the first Alpha of "tfOS" come out. Read more about the development here: http://kshoster.net/node/105/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It's all one big linux anyway (except for Suse).

Beans
    Distro

Have you seen the latest copy of Linux Format ? They have an article on that...
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast