Thread: OpenCV VideoWriter is saving files, but cannot save to USB drive

Beans

OpenCV VideoWriter is saving files, but cannot save to USB drive

Hi, I have image recognition software written with openCV on OrangePi5. I want to save files into USB drive from this software. So I used `sudo mount /dev/sda1 /path/to/recordings` and given the folder for recordings `chmod 744` to write and read and i can use any method either echo or python script to save in this folder anything i want. I however cannot save there my video recordings from image recognition software, eventhough I can save those videoclips anytwhere on device just fine.

Any advice?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: OpenCV VideoWriter is saving files, but cannot save to USB drive

Lots of guesses. Check the easy things first.

Is the program a snap package? Snap packages have mandated constraints, one of which is the location in the file systems and which file systems can be accessed at all.

What file system does the USB have? chmod doesn't work for non-Linux file systems like FAT32, exFAT, or NTFS. It does nothing. Same for chown. The only way to change permissions, owner and groups for those non-Linux file systems is with mount options, which it appears you didn't do from the command above. There are hundreds of guides for mounting non-Linux file systems in ways you want and where you want/need. Mounting as above would make root:root the owner of all files and directories recursively. Not very friendly.

Those are my initial guesses.

I know ZERO about OrangePi hardware or running Linux on it. Assuming linux is linux, which generally holds, those are my initial thoughts.

currentshaft is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: OpenCV VideoWriter is saving files, but cannot save to USB drive

oi
    Last edited by currentshaft; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:32 AM.