Thread: No AI! Big thank you to Ubuntu Linux!

Beans

Thumbs up No AI! Big thank you to Ubuntu Linux!

Saw with dismay this article today about MS new "Copilot". (https://headlineusa.com/microsoft-ai...ll-everything/).
    Just wanted to say a big Thank You to all the folks at Ubuntu for providing this wonderful OS. It does everything a Desktop OS should do, reliably, and without all the bloat other OS's have. I appreciate the privacy and the fact that I am in control of my pc and not being vacumed for personal data to give to data miners. Boots quickly.
    Launch and run my applications w/o crashing, have a stable network connection, provide efficient audio/video support. That's all I need from my OS and Ubumtu does that beautifully. I abandoned MS Windows over 10 years ago and have never regretted that decision. Thank you, thank you, thank you! If more non-technical users could see how easy and trouble-free Ubuntu was, they'd drop Windows like an Ebola tainted potatoe. Please don't ever change.
    signed: Former PC/Dos/Windows/Novell Support Technician
    H.S.

Beans

Re: No AI! Big thank you to Ubuntu Linux!

Wow, I am with you on that. I agree. And besides, sometimes it's just automated databasing with a Natural Language Interface and not real "AI" fuzzy logic or machine learning.
    I mean LT. Commander Data of Star Trek was an AI. Web pages are still web pages, but the hype is getting out of hand. I mean real AI is still being created, but that's a different topic.
    Peace unto the future AI's of the world, however.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: No AI! Big thank you to Ubuntu Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by s41stregimentilfm View Post
    Saw with dismay this article today about MS new "Copilot". (https://headlineusa.com/microsoft-ai...ll-everything/).
    Just wanted to say a big Thank You to all the folks at Ubuntu for providing this wonderful OS. It does everything a Desktop OS should do, reliably, and without all the bloat other OS's have. I appreciate the privacy and the fact that I am in control of my pc and not being vacumed for personal data to give to data miners. Boots quickly.
    Launch and run my applications w/o crashing, have a stable network connection, provide efficient audio/video support. That's all I need from my OS and Ubumtu does that beautifully. I abandoned MS Windows over 10 years ago and have never regretted that decision. Thank you, thank you, thank you! If more non-technical users could see how easy and trouble-free Ubuntu was, they'd drop Windows like an Ebola tainted potatoe. Please don't ever change.
    signed: Former PC/Dos/Windows/Novell Support Technician
    H.S.
    u

I agree 100%. I first discovered Ubuntu back in about 2006-7. That was when Ubuntu was still a challenge and required some inquisitive learning and an inherent love for this amazing new OS that made whatever it took to get those printers and other peripherals working was so worth it. Then many years later I had upgraded through all the newer distros until I got to 18.04. Wow. I downloaded it, created an install thumbdrive and as it installed itself, it configured my wifi, found the correct drivers for my three printers, allowed me to set up y dual displays right from the install, and then when it was done EVERYTHING WORKED!

I'm still using 18.04. I downloaded and tried out 20.04 some time back but didn't see any way it was more useful for me to do what I needed it for. At that time I was still building commercial Websites, doing all sorts of graphics work in Gimp, and all the other usual stuff of running a small business. 18.04 has never let me down. It's on my desktop and on my relatively new Acer laptop that I bought because it had W11 on a small SSD and a hard-drive bay in which I installed a 500GB SSD for Ubuntu. It default-boots to Ubuntu. I like having W11 on it for the few things that need it for maintenance, like my GPS and to fully access the functions of one my printers, stuff I need a few times a year. That's all that is on the W11 drive, and I disabled all the W11 "automatic upgrade" nonsense straight away.

BTW, my wife has always grumbled about having to use Windows, but she didn't want to have to "learn a new OS.' So her old laptop needed to be replaced about this time so I bought her another one of those Acers, set it up just like mine, loaded all of her stuff off her old one, and I told her since this is a new machine, there will be a few things different, but just let me know when she had questions and I'd help her out. She got on it and just started using it without a hitch. Using Libre Office instead of Word? She never even noticed the difference, except for some file-management changes that I showed her how to use. So for those many folks who hate Windows and all it's bloat, nuisances (and costs!), my wife is not a techno-person at all and she loves how sweetly her Ubuntu laptop works for her.

So at only 87 years young now, I guess I'll be keeping !8.04 "forever!"

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Ubuntu, and all the good folks that keep it alive!
    Unanswered questions
    are far less dangerous
    than unquestioned answers.