Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu 20.04LTS freezing after 5-10 mins of use

Beans

Re: Lubuntu 20.04LTS freezing after 5-10 mins of use

i can also see "find all my posts" and "find all my threads" , but some of my threads that i know i have started ,is gone .
    doesn't matter though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Eleven machines currently using 20.04. Machines range from very fast ones to incredibly slow ones, but none give me any issues at all. 3 are dual-booted with Win 10 and one with Win 7. Win7 sucks and one Win 10 machine has lots of problems all the time.

Beans

So the saga continues just a bit longer (and sorry for those who are suggesting Windows, I left that train in 1999 and have run Linux in one form or other since then, after half a novel vaporized and a backup that I thought was being done by Word had not been. For stability overall, Linux is hands down the best option that I've used and worked with. Not sure we need to debate that on an Ubuntu forum.)

But back to this issue: Alas, it has not yet been solved. I had a good run this afternoon, thinking that it had been due to my tweaking and then failing to readjust the Secure Boot, but eventually that (and yes, sigh, another reinstall) failed.

I have not had the window appear where I can choose which kernel to boot to. Is there a way to modify the Grub conf file or such that it will show? I feel like that's the next step. I did upgrade to the 5.13.x kernel (since I thought Secure Boot had been the culprit), and I think now that it may be the kernel after all.

So I'm going to try booting back into the 5.11.x kernel and see if that fixes things. Fingers crossed.

Beans

For stability overall, Linux is hands down the best option that I've used and worked with.
    those who are suggesting Windows, I left that train in 1999
    hope you can see where i'd go with this , but i'm not going to lol , like you said , we not here to debate on OS's

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am going to suggest trying a "parallel universe" - at least it works for me.
    Until you find time to sort out / repair grub issues, you can install rEFInd.
    https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html

It will install into /boot/efi/EFI/refind and offers an emergency route to launch kernels.
    It offers a nice GUI and does not stop conventional grub from working. But only works with UEFI.

It may not help with your freezing problems - only your grub problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would try booting to your install medium and running from that to see what happens. If it crashes on that, then I would be looking at a hardware issue.

Beans

Have had the longest run yet by staying in 5.11.x. Seems to be the kernel. There are some issues (laggy external monitors) but I'll take that over a complete freeze.

I installed grub-configurator, but probably could have just edited the config file by hand. But now, I get a nice 3 second window to choose my kernel or other such boot options, and then it goes to the default (which is the last one booted previously).

I think we can say this is solved. It was the kernel. So I'll just hope something comes along and fixes that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12