Thread: Upgrading Ubuntu and compiling source packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Upgrading Ubuntu and compiling source packages

Hi,

I'm actually quite happy with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, but if in the future I upgrade I just have a question. I have a wireless router so I want to know if NDISwrapper gets installed automatically upon installation/upgrade to 8.10 Intrepid and if it doesn't, is there a separate .deb package where I can download it?

Secondly, I have heard of AptOnCD but it doesn't seem to work. I tried to install certain packages on a friend's computer who doesn't have internet access but that doesn't seem to pick up all the dependency files. So could I download the source code files for lets say the latest vlc player, compile it into a .deb package, and if I install it on a separate computer, it will install with all dependencies? I also want to install the restricted codecs like the ability to play .divx movies and other various media? Where are the separate .deb files for those where I can find them?

Lastly, I'm trying to setup a blueetooth dial up connection on my friend's computer since I have unlimited access on my phone for the internet. However, I did follow the instructions here: http://www.spiration.co.uk/post/1307...p%20connection

However, the bluetooth dial up connection wasn't coming up when trying the "pon" command in the terminal. Any help would be appreciated on this.

So that's all the questions for now, hehe. Thanks and God bless.

Ryan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Upgrading Ubuntu and compiling source packages

Bump.