Thread: 24.04 - Battery life impacts?

Beans

24.04 - Battery life impacts?

I recently updated from 23.10 to 24.04 and I'm seeing faster battery usage than in 23.10, even on the "power saver" profile. I've noticed that TLP is no longer installed after the upgrade and I'm wondering if that is related? I'm also assuming that mixing power profiles and TLP is probably not a great idea? Does anyone have any suggestions to improve battery life on 24.04?

Thanks,
    Craig

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: 24.04 - Battery life impacts?

Move to a lighter desktop manager, Gnome is resource hungry and will use cpu and gpu more resulting in more battery being used. Xubuntu may be a better option.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post
    Move to a lighter desktop manager, Gnome is resource hungry and will use cpu and gpu more resulting in more battery being used. Xubuntu may be a better option.
    Is it worse in this newer version? While I don't doubt that there may be savings with a different desktop manager, I've been running with the default Gnome setup for years, so I guess I wouldn't expect the draw on Gnome to change significantly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You may want to give slimbook battery a try. It' helps my system with battery usage.

you can get it from their PPA here:
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/10/...ery-4-released
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

I tried powertop, but didn't see much improvement. I installed TLP and I seem to be getting much better battery life now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by csete View Post
    I tried powertop, but didn't see much improvement. I installed TLP and I seem to be getting much better battery life now.
    I had the same problem after a distribution upgrade. Solved after clean install.