Thread: gnome top bar date and day causes delay in login in if system time is set to autosync

Beans

gnome top bar date and day causes delay in login in if system time is set to autosync

I have a fresh install of ubuntu 22.04.

uname -a

Linux <computername> 6.5.0-35-generic #35~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue May 7 09:00:52 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I installed gnome-tweaks to set the background wall paper. Then I also attempted to set the week day and date. These promptly show up in the top bar.
    But when I attempt to login again, the dash takes several seconds. Perhaps even 30 to 40 seconds on occasion.

I created another account, deleted my original account and recreated it.

now it logs in quickly.

But when i set the date and day again on the top bar, it starts delaying the login once more.

If i remove the automatic date and time in settings, it logs in quickly again.

Looks like that is definitely the problem.

Something in either gnome tweaks that forces a date time sync when logging in if that particular detail is added to the top bar.

And I was unable to find how to add tags after I posted this message. If someone can find that and add the appropriate tags, I'll be obliged.
    Last edited by vidyadhara; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:27 PM. Reason: cannot find how to add tags.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gnome top bar date and day causes delay in login in if system time is set to auto

Why? Without doing that, without that Gnome option enabled, what does this show?
    Code:
    sudo timedatectl status
    sudo timedatectl timesync-status
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:06 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Re: gnome top bar date and day causes delay in login in if system time is set to auto

my desktop is gnome.

i turned off the time autosync in gnome settings and did this in gnome terminal.

vidyadhara@ryzen5600lin:~$ sudo timedatectl status
    Local time: Sun 2024-05-19 13:02:30 IST
    Universal time: Sun 2024-05-19 07:32:30 UTC
    RTC time: Sun 2024-05-19 07:32:30
    Time zone: Asia/Kolkata (IST, +0530)
    System clock synchronized: yes
    NTP service: inactive
    RTC in local TZ: no

vidyadhara@ryzen5600lin:~$ sudo timedatectl timesync-status
    Failed to query server: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.timesync1.service not found.

I see the same response to the second command for several attempts.

I checked this page for fixing the problem.

--
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=288227
    --

did the following commands.

systemctl start systemd-resolved.service

and

systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service

both exit with status 0 (assuming that means successful).

But still

sudo timedatectl timesync-status
    Failed to query server: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.timesync1.service not found.
    Last edited by vidyadhara; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is my output for those
    Code:
    mafoelffen@Mikes-B460M:~$ sudo timedatectl status
                   Local time: Sun 2024-05-19 09:42:36 PDT
               Universal time: Sun 2024-05-19 16:42:36 UTC
                     RTC time: Sun 2024-05-19 16:42:36
                    Time zone: America/Los_Angeles (PDT, -0700)
                  NTP service: active
    mafoelffen@Mikes-B460M:~$ sudo timedatectl timesync-status
           Server: 185.125.190.56 (ntp.ubuntu.com)
    Poll interval: 34min 8s (min: 32s; max 34min 8s)
             Leap: normal
          Version: 4
          Stratum: 2
        Reference: B7A08584
        Precision: 1us (-25)
    Root distance: 1.006ms (max: 5s)
           Offset: -11.337ms
            Delay: 163.959ms
           Jitter: 6.656ms
     Packet count: 1513
        Frequency: -11.282ppm
    I asked for that output to see if the system had time sync turned on, and what by. The second command would check where from, and the pooling interval. I also use Gnome as a desktop. But I don't set the datetime sync through Gnome. That is just a duplication to me.

Here is yours:
    Code:
    vidyadhara@ryzen5600lin:~$ sudo timedatectl status
    Local time: Sun 2024-05-19 13:02:30 IST
    Universal time: Sun 2024-05-19 07:32:30 UTC
    RTC time: Sun 2024-05-19 07:32:30
    Time zone: Asia/Kolkata (IST, +0530)
    NTP service: inactive
    So it says it is syncronized, but not through NTP...

I have to do a few errands, I'll get back to this a bit later.

EDIT: While running out the door... Please post the results of this so we can see where it is going to... But important that you post the output within CODE Tags!
    Code:
    systemctl status systemd-timesyncd --no-pager -l
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:57 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

as i said earlier, i turned off time sync in gnome settings to get faster login. That is what this seems to be reporting.

Code:
    vidyadhara@ryzen5600lin:~$ sudo systemctl status systemd-timesyncd --no-pager -l[sudo] password for vidyadhara: 
    ○ systemd-timesyncd.service - Network Time Synchronization
         Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
         Active: inactive (dead)
           Docs: man:systemd-timesyncd.service(8)

Now i turned it on and did the same thing again,

Code:
    vidyadhara@ryzen5600lin:~$ sudo systemctl status systemd-timesyncd --no-pager -l
    [sudo] password for vidyadhara: 
    ● systemd-timesyncd.service - Network Time Synchronization
         Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
         Active: active (running) since Mon 2024-05-20 10:34:39 IST; 13s ago
           Docs: man:systemd-timesyncd.service(8)
       Main PID: 4677 (systemd-timesyn)
         Status: "Initial synchronization to time server 185.125.190.57:123 (ntp.ubuntu.com)."
          Tasks: 2 (limit: 38318)
         Memory: 1.4M
            CPU: 52ms
         CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-timesyncd.service
                 └─4677 /lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd

May 20 10:34:39 ryzen5600lin systemd[1]: Starting Network Time Synchronization...
    May 20 10:34:39 ryzen5600lin systemd[1]: Started Network Time Synchronization.
    May 20 10:34:39 ryzen5600lin systemd-timesyncd[4677]: Initial synchronization to time server 185.125.190.57:123 (ntp.ubuntu.com).
    the login lags even if i remove the day and date from the top bar, but for a shorter period. If I include them (through gnome-tweaks), it lags much longer.

The lagging is off and on even with the time sync turned off. not entirely clear that it is the problem. But the lag is consistent with sync turn on.

p.s.
    I have a second account with time sync turned off. That too is acting funny. very long lag after login. It seems to be taking longer than two minutes to get to working condition.

This is practically a fresh installation.

I have an NVidia gt 1030 graphics card and the system is using the nvidia 535 driver. I don't understand enough about the free / non free versions of this driver. Nouveau is the free version if I am not wrong. And that is a mess with two displays atleast for this hardware.

The last attempt a couple of weeks ago to try several different drivers destroyed my installation and I had to reinstall the OS.

I have an old asus laptop that is running ubuntu 22.04 quite well for the past couple of years.

I think I want to try 24.04 on my newer ryzen box.

There maybe some linux distribution that works better than this for the gt1030 card.

Probably I am attempting too many things to be able to report any particular detail with sufficient fidelity.

Thanks a ton for the help so far.
    Last edited by vidyadhara; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:01 PM.

Beans

I installed ubuntu 24.04 over the earlier 22.04. And I installed gnome-tweaks. set a background picture and centered it. That crashed the desktop.

The OS was still running so I logged into tty2 and created a new user, cleaned out the old user and recreated it. It is working ok as of now.

Looks like something is really broken in gnome-tweaks.
    Last edited by vidyadhara; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:25 PM.