Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SNAP IS CRAP! 20-year Ubuntu user saying "bye bye"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SNAP IS CRAP! 20-year Ubuntu user saying "bye bye"

I switched to Linux Mint for my desktop about a year ago. I'm not much of a desktop DE user, so it is less about the GUI and more about which apps are there and how they work. I like to control the constraints for certain applications. Snap constraints happen to conflict with my standard setup, so snaps haven't worked on most of my systems already. Useless. I find the suggested work-arounds from the snap team to be highly undesirable. Their work-arounds would impact EVER OTHER SYSTEM here, not just Ubuntu systems. That's unacceptable.

Got tired of fighting with Canonical's ideas on a few things, but mainly snaps. I don't run stock Mint either, but not having to deal with snaps for many commonly used tools is great. I'll probably switch to MX Linux next install to dump systemd too. Eventually, systemd will be production ready. Someday. Systemd was created to fix problems I never had. Lots of things are added/replaced in modern Linux distros to solve problems that very few people actually have.

I have found a use for a few snap packages. I use lxd, though I'd much rather it not be a snap package. I also use the nextcloud snap, which has drastically simplified my nextcloud install and maintenance, though it does break addons periodically. It is better, overall, than manually maintaining nextcloud. Just wish the auto-upgrade disable commands actually worked. I wanted to stay on v24 of nextcloud and entered snap commands to prevent updates to any new major release. Alas, today, it is running ... NC29 ... er ... somehow. That's a bunch of major upgrades that I didn't want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bye bye

Beans

To be honest, as much as I like the Ubuntu family, I'm not runing on them anymore either, for a similar reason set.
    But I'm OK with AppImages and the old fashioned octopi / pacman / synaptic / gdebi / dpkg type of stuff.
    I'm sometimes on Arch instead of Debian or Ubuntu, but across the Linuxes, I think AppImage is the way to do it.
    It's the nicest to the end user. I still like alternatives.

I do think Cannonical is sometimes kinda bossy and wierd, but so are so many other devs, it's just commonpace, unfortunately.
    Programmers are their own special breed. But I'm still thankful for them.

Good luck ou there, don't forget distrowatch.org

Beans

wierd. yesterday i noted snap showing up in my system, but i don't use it. i had to delete it. it's kinda fussy having to do all that.
    i wish devs wouldn't be like that making us use stuff that we don't want and don't need.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Snap on Ubuntu is not going away. Just get use to it. If you can't, there are other options, other distros that don't have it. Mint comes to mind.
    Its rather easy to remove Snap.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 909mjolnir View Post
    wierd. yesterday i noted snap showing up in my system, but i don't use it. i had to delete it. it's kinda fussy having to do all that.
    i wish devs wouldn't be like that making us use stuff that we don't want and don't need.
    It isn't the devs. It is a corporate decision by Canonical. Make no mistake.

#&thj^% is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    It isn't the devs. It is a corporate decision by Canonical. Make no mistake.
    +1
    Sad but very true....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Snap is easy to remove. I never run Ubuntu using snap of any kind.
    I tried that... then watched in horror as "sudo apt-get install chromium-browser" installed SnapD and then used SnapD to install Chromium-Browser.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

currentshaft is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans
    Hidden!

Last edited by currentshaft; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:48 AM.

#&thj^% is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    Fresh 24.04 installation. Uninstalled cupsd because I don't print on this machine.

Few weeks later ... "sudo snap refresh" ... cupsd gets installed and starts listening on the network.

What the actual f?

sudo apt purge "snap*" is now the first command I'll run on fresh Ubuntu installations.

I feel you....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast