Thread: mailinator register stole a users account

Beans

mailinator register stole a users account

I registered here to ask one question. Because I only plan to ask one question I registered with mailinator. I think someone in the past used the mailinator address I used because it gave me their account. I don't mind this and it looks like they posted last in 2009 so they probably don't care. Maybe the people who run the forum didn't know this could happen? I don't know, I guess somebody might want to know this happens though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: mailinator register stole a users account

Hello ejectHD, I've moved your thread to the Resolution Centre where admins hang around
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I found another IP address for the ejectHD account, did you ever live in Toronto ON?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm not sure I completely follow you. Are you referring to this forum account?

When you logged in from Ubuntu One with your mailinator email account set as preferred in Ubuntu One, the system found an email match with this forum account and linked the two. That is why you are posting from the forum account with the username ejectHD. The ejectHD forum account was created in October 2009 and the logs show that it was activated from the verification email sent to the mailinator email address. This is standard security practice and would mean that whoever registered this forum account in 2009 had access to your mailinator email account. Are you sure this wasn't you?

We do certainly take forum account security seriously. However, if an email account is compromised, anyone can register a forum account on almost any forum posing as the email account holder. If I am understanding your post correctly, I think the question is: was someone else able to use your mailinator account in 2009 or did you create the ejectHD account and had forgotten about it. If there is any hint of account hijacking anywhere, then we could arrange to get you set up with a fresh forum account from a fresh Ubuntu One account if you wish.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ejectHD, I was not aware that mailinator basically has no security when I posted before. You might wish to read the mailinator FAQ:

http://mailinator.com/faq.html

Mailinator's Privacy Policy: THERE IS NO PRIVACY
    There is no real security here.
    Thanks for bringing this up. As a result of your post, the forum admins are discussing what we need to do about mailinator email addresses.

As far as your Ubuntu One account is concerned, I suggest you think about changing your Ubuntu One account preferred email to something secure, and then creating a new forum account with it. I will disable this forum account in an hour or so in such a way that it cannot be logged into again.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For the record:

The ejectHD forum account has been disabled in a way that prevents the particular mailinator address being used on the forum again.

It has also been disassociated from the OP's Ubuntu One account, so that the OP can use their Ubuntu One account to log into the forum so long as they change their preferred email in Ubuntu One.