Thread: Virtual machine problems with display size in virtual box and another problem with gn

Beans

Virtual machine problems with display size in virtual box and another problem with gn

I'm using Ubuntu 24.4 Sometimes I want to test things in Windows. A fresh install of Windows in Gnome Boxes won't let me choose anything under 64GB for Ram. That's twice as much as I have. Oddly enough, my computer with 22.04 installed it great, but there isn't enough disk space for it.

So then I tried installing Windows on my computer using 24.04 with Gnome-boxes. It refuses to install.

I setup virtual box, and it installed well, except there isn't an option to choose the right screen resolution. I need it to be 1920x1080. The only two settings I can choose from that would be anywhere close is 1280x1024 or 1600x1200.

I'm hoping there is a way to fix this by adding other display options.

Thank you,
    Steve

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Virtual machine problems with display size in virtual box and another problem wit

You cannot have 2 hypervisors installed at the same time, unless you manually remove the hypervisor kernel module used.

Virtualbox requires something called "Guest Additions" to be installed for display management (and a few other things). Additionally, the license for the guest additions is NOT F/LOSS, so beware. Every time you run it, Oracle will be notified. With the guest additions installed, be certain the vbox VM display memory is set to the highest number allowed, usually 128MB. I haven't used vbox in over a decade, but the default used to be 9MB, which is fine for a non-GUI guest.

BTW, 24.4 isn't the correct term. 24.04 is. The leading zero-four is how Canonical decided to say "April" = ".04"; October = ".10". It makes computer sorting easier.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Virtual machine problems with display size in virtual box and another problem wit

64GB for a Windows VM???

I haven't used VBox in years (by choice)... But when I did, it had never forced me to use a minimum amount of RAM for an OS. I could always override what was recommended, even if that was not enough.

Something is wrong with that picture. I can see 64GB of vDisk, because the OS needs at least that much room to install. But it will run happy with most minimal apps with 4GB RAM. I do that all the time with KVM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags