Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Space - we are asking to be enslaved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Space - we are asking to be enslaved!

They'll have watched many years of our TV shows before they get that message. They'll probably be really confused.

100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    Seriously, does anyone think an advanced alien race would ever initiate contact with this planet? We tend to be violent by nature and extremely aggressive. I doubt an advanced culture/race would find those traits desirable. A race older than ours and advanced enough to travel here, must certainly have resolved basic issues on their planet(s) (that our planet struggles with daily). We can't even agree on global warming or the next ice age. Our politics varies by country and certain places on this planet groups still practice genocide.

Everyday, our TV and radio signals broadcast into space - If this were used to evaluate our intellect and/or advancement - heaven help us.

Ask Yourself:
    If I were an intelligent alien race capable of space travel, why would I even consider planet earth as worthy of communication??? I believe the only motive for an alien visit, would be to eradicate our species.
    I justed watched that Twiligh Zone episode Dragonbit suggested a few pages back.

There something similar happens.

To make it short, they might need us to fight for them

--

edit: in case someone was wondering, it's a episode from the 1985 twilight zone series. It was S01E37 and was called "A small talent for war".

It was pretty hard to track down, I got it off rapishare.

I'm thinking about buying the dvd box that has all the series. It's a must have for every sci-fi fan.
    Last edited by billgoldberg; October 17th, 2008 at 11:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

billgoldberg Re: Space - we are asking to be enslaved!
    I justed watched that Twiligh Zone episode Dragonbit suggested a few pages back.

There something similar happens.

To make it short, they might need us to fight for them
    That may actually have some merit. Although, I have some serious doubts regarding an alien race that is capable of traveling here to recruit us. I tend to agree with some others that inferred it's more likely we'd be a food or work source. If our planet had a resource that were in demand, our civilization might simply be reduced to a labor force and then eliminated.

I must admit to being a big Twilight Zone fan and recall watching that episode. I'm also a big OL fan and even enjoyed watching Night Gallery. My wife believes I have a serious flaw in my character...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    On Earth, the grazing herbivores aren't too clever, because they don't have to be.
    You've never owned a goat then?

I know what you mean, but some herbivores are more clever than most people give them credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by mick222 View Post
    God created the universe and created us in his own image therefore there is no aliens , far less aliens more advanced than us . Unless god is a myth.
    Your viewpoint is based on just one interpretation of just one religion. It is also flawed because if God created the heavens and the earth, and therefore God existed before the earth, then he can't be from earth, and must therefore be an alien (as others have also pointed out). Many religions teach of the existence of other beings elsewhere in the universe, and I don't think Christianity says that there aren't any. Without starting a religious debate, another possible interpretation of the claim that God created us in his image, consider that that might refer to "nature", which we are part of and at the same time have influence over, rather than taking it literally that God is humanlike.
    READ THIS Don't run any commands without understanding what they do, unless they are from a reliable source and have been confirmed by other experts. Serious damage can result from following malicious "advice".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffle View Post
    They'll have watched many years of our TV shows before they get that message. They'll probably be really confused.

Spot-on!

I have the DVD of Galaxy Quest, very funy & clever, the writers obviously thought about the effects of TV on the minds of the uninitiated.

Sigoulash's comment made in the ventilation ducts & harkening back to the Alien movies is priceless.

@DrMega: +1 on the goat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can't see any harm in transmitting "Hi there!" messages to the stars. Maybe an alien who receives such a message will assume we're friendly and fly his saucer over for a kegger?

We've been announcing our presence to the universe ever since Marconi's first transmissions left the earth at the speed of light. Transmissions intended for earth audiences are much weaker than the deliberate calls to ET, but ET's radio equipment is far better than ours and can boost such weak signals no problem. And any alien intelligence monitoring these transmissions will certainly conclude that our race is violent, sectarian and in sore need of extermination. So I can't see the harm in the occasional message saying: "Hi ET! We're not really as evil as our TV shows would indicate... we're pretty okay actually!" Maybe then we will be saved?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    So I can't see the harm in the occasional message saying: "Hi ET! We're not really as evil as our TV shows would indicate... we're pretty okay actually!" Maybe then we will be saved?
    Saved from the evil TV shows?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frankleeee View Post
    I knew that this had to be from Paradise Lost which I have never been able to fully read.
    I read it in portions, a few pages at a time. It's really to much trying to read it all in one sitting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    I can't see any harm in transmitting "Hi there!" messages to the stars. Maybe an alien who receives such a message will assume we're friendly and fly his saucer over for a kegger?
    lol

I hope the aliens from "femalien" hear it first.

--

Ps: after watching some more Twilight Zone eps, this thread has Kanamit written all over it.

Beans

A few episodes of these so called reality tv show crap and they will steer a wide berth around earth

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast