Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server 8.04.1 Install

Beans

Re: Server 8.04.1 Install

I've gotten through the cd detection stage. Now I'm stuck on the "load installation components from cd" stage.

I found that my usb is detected as /sdb1, /sda1,3,5, and 7 are my hard drive partitions.
    Last edited by dividenot; October 1st, 2008 at 02:54 PM.

Beans

Install from USB update;

I have read alot of tutorials and forum posts. Tried alot of stuff. But still only partial success.

I attatched the log files from the installation if anyone knows what to look for. I added the ".doc" file extention but can upload them with a different one if needed.

To recap on the problem; I get along pretty well booting from my usb and have passed the cdrom detection stage. The load installation components from cd stage is the one that fails.

I've tried to install other versions of Ubuntu but no success with any of them.

I'm running a Chinese version of Windows XP and am located in China (which, I believe, has been part of my problem trying the netboot). I don't suppose any of the operations I perform on my windows effects the linux files, do they?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dividenot View Post
    I have read alot of tutorials and forum posts. Tried alot of stuff.(...) I've tried to install other versions of Ubuntu but no success with any of them.
    I am using USB-Sticks to install Ubuntu(s) on machines without cd-rom-drives since months. All informations you need are on the web.
    If you can not install Ubuntu using Unetbootin and can not boot from PXE, than try mentioned pendrive-linux-solution, or other methods/tutorials:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

There is even a script, to create a flash drive that can be used for installing Ubuntu Server:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...DriveInstaller

Beans

Re: Server 8.04.1 USB Install

Hello. I was trying this and I can't get it to work.
    I started the install just fine, and as predicted it wouldn't find the CD. So I mounted the USB as /cdrom, and was able to confirm by cd'ing to /cdrom and could browse the USB drive. So, it should be working, but when I continue the install it still tells me that it can't find the CD. I tried it both ways, just mounting the USB on /cdrom and using the symbolic link through /dev. Both allow me to browse the USB drive through /cdrom.

Anybody else had success?
    Thanks,
    IMF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12